First sweater - guage question

Hi!

I’ve decided on this pattern for my first garment - Mesilla - and have a question about guage.

I’m using Misit Cotton & Silk and knit a flat swatch on size 8 needles. I got a guage of 3.5 per inch, and the pattern calls for 4 per inch.

My question is - considering that this sweater is knit in the round, is my guage swatch any good? I purl very loosely and that is bound to affect guage right? I would love to swatch in the round however I don’t have 16" or 12" needles in size 7 or 8.

What do you suggest I should do? Wing it on size 8 (assuming guage will be almost 4 per inch when knit in round without purling) or go buy smaller needles and do another swatch?

Thank you for taking the time to help!

You can do a ‘fake’ swatch in the round where you only knit. Since you know your purl stitches affect your tension, it might be a good idea.

Cast on more than 4 inches worth of stitches. Knit across the row, but instead of turning after each knit row, slide the stitches to the other end of the circ and bring the yarn loosely across the back and knit across again. Keep doing this until the swatch is as long as you want.

I’d suggest frogging it and reusing the yarn afterwards since so much is wasted carrying it across the back.

Thank you for posting this method, Ingrid, I never thought of it! I’m going to try it right now.