First socks and OMG am I confused!

So here is the pattern.

I am working on the heel.

Before this step there are 24 sts on 1 dpn and 12 on a holder.
Heel turn: Slip 1, K13, K2tog, K1 turn. Slip 1, P5, P2tog, P1 turn.
Front: Slip 1, K to 1 st before gap, K2tog, K1 turn.
Back: Slip 1, P to 1 st before gap, P2tog, P1, turn.
Rep these 2 row until all sts are “used up” End on Back (P row) ready to K.

Guessets: With new needle, K across 1/2 st; this will become needle #3.
Needle 1:With new needle, K across rest of row. Pick up and K slip st going down side of sock.
Needle 2: K instep sts off holder, cont in K2P2 pattern as established (alternatively just work instep in St st).
Needle 3: Pick up and knit Slip sts going u side of sock, and cont on to K sts set aside earlier.
Stop and count. You will have more sts then the 44 you began with; these are decreased in alternate rnds until back to 44 sts.
K1 or 2 rnd(s) before working any decs.

I need some serious help. I get to the end of front and back rows where I am supposed to “use up” the sts, but there is no way to do the K1 or P1 after the 2tog sts since I only have 1 st on each side after the gap so I have no idea how to continue on.

Please let me know if you need me to explain better since I know it is hard to visualize.

Thank you,
Justine

I’m not quite sure where you’re at in the pattern, but what’s supposed to happen is that you work back and forth on that one needle.

First you’ll work across the first 14 stitches, k2tog, k1 and turn.

On the purl side, you work 6, p2tog, p1, turn.

AT this point, you’ll knit to one stitch before the gap, and then knit that stitch tog with the stitch after the gap, knit the next stitch and turn.

Purl to one stitch before the gap, purl that stitch together with the stitch after the gap, purl 1, turn.

Keep doing this until the stitches are ‘used up’. Each row will be longer than the previous one.

Does this answer your question?

I will do what you suggested and then get back to you. I know that is wasn’t what I was doing so it may be the answer. Thanks so much :slight_smile:

I am also working on my first sock pattern and had some trouble with the heel. I found a good video in the video section that walks through the stuff you are talking about. Have you checked that out? It really helped me!

The video is under “advanced techniques” and I believe it is called “knitting the heel of a sock.” Good luck!

I am checking that right now. Thanks!