Finishing last rep?

Hi, I’m trying to do a lace pattern hat. I cast on 87 stitches. I’m knitting in the round. I have a marker that I use to mark where the beginning of the row is so I don’t lose track. I already did the brim of the hat and now I’m starting the lace part of the pattern. Here’s what it says:

Row 1: K8, *K2tog, yfd, K15, rep from * to end, finishing last rep K9.
Row 2: K to end.

My question is about this wording “finishing last rep.” For Row 1, I took this to mean:

K8, K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K9.

HOWEVER, I’m at this last rep in the row and I don’t have enough stitches left to do the K9. There are only 3 stitches left before I reach my row marker. So it looks like I knit this:

K8, K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K3.

I’m not sure how to fix this, and more importantly, I’m really not sure what I did wrong. Why are there only 3 stitches left in the row? Should I keep knitting past the marker to complete the K9 (thus, knitting 6 additional stitches into the 2nd row)? This doesn’t seem right. 'Cause then what’s the point of using my marker to let me know when I’m at the end of the row?

Oh my gosh, please help! I know I must be misunderstanding this “finishing last rep” instruction. There just don’t seem to be enough stitches no matter how I look at it.

You cast on 87? Numbers aren’t coming out right for me either. What is the name of the pattern? Do you have a link?

You’re interpreting the directions correctly:
K8, K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K9.

Go back and count the sts on the needle in each repeat again. Make sure you have 17sts per repeat before the final rep. You might slip in markers at each repeat to make this easier. Check also that you aren’t somehow using a stitch when you do the yfwd (yarn over).
Yes, the pattern name or link is always helpful.

It’s from a book called “The Very Easy Guide to Lace Knitting” by Lynne Watterson. It’s Project 2 Hat & Scarf, but I’m just making the hat.

I didn’t include the early directions because I didn’t think they were relevant since they all worked out fine. It says:

Using size 6 needles, cast on 87 sts. (I’m using size 7 in the round, but I still cast on 87). Then do 7 rows of seed stitch followed by 4 rows of knit stitch. Then begin heart motif, which has 16 rows. I posted the first 2.

The pattern isn’t for knitting in the round. It actually says to Purl every 2nd row. But I thought I could adapt it by just Knitting every 2nd row instead. Is the math not working out because I’m knitting in the round?

Another question: I thought YFD meant to bring the yarn forward and then also knit that one stitch. Is that not right? Should I only be bringing it forward and the next stitch is part of the K15 step?

I’m thinking I should unravel this whole row and try it again with markers. Is that something I can do; just unravel one row? Or will the whole thing come apart? Thanks!

You should be able to work in the round, no problem. The original pattern does have 2 extra sts for seaming however.
You might change it to:
[B]K7[/B], K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, K15,
K2tog, yfd, [B]K8[/B]
if you knit in the round to maintain the spacing of 15sts between motifs (not absolutely necessary however).

Yarn fwd followed by a knit stitch is the equivalent of a yarn over. Just bring the yarn to the front between the needles and then to the back over the right hand needle. The next knit stitch is part of the k15. There’s no knit stitch that goes with the yfwd or yo.

You can certainly unravel a single row (tinking). It’s easy to do with the stitches still on the needle: