Fingerless mitts

My sister asked for these fingerless mitts:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/PATTdashing.html

It says to cast on 40 stitches, but unless I’m adding wrong I’m getting 44 for the cable rounds
First Cable Round: [CB, p1(2), k4, p1, k4, p1(2)] twice.
Work 9 rounds in Rib Pattern.
Second Cable Round: [K4, p1, k4, p1(2), CB, p1(2)] twice.
Work 9 rounds in Rib Pattern.

Cable Back [CB]: Slip next 4 sts to cable needle (or spare DPN) and hold to back of work; k4, p1, then k4 from cable needle.
Cable Front [CF]: Slip next 4 sts to cable needle (or spare DPN) and hold to front of work; k4, p1; k4 from cable needle.

Also, she doesn’t want a thumb on it - do I just bind off the beginning of the thumb opening or do I have to do something different?

Thank you!

Those are very good looking mitts.
You’re making the smaller size with the cast on of 40sts? The first cable round is then:
First Cable Round: [CB, p1, k4, p1, k4, p1] twice (I’ve deleted the numbers in parentheses which are for the larger size).
9sts for the cable + 11sts give you 20sts and the whole section in brackets is repeated twice for a total of 40sts.
You could follow the pattern for the thumb opening, undo the waste yarn, maybe knit one round and bind off or you could make a slit for the thumb by just turning you work and knitting back and forth for several rows till you have enough room for a thumb opening.

Thanks!

I work night shift and I was looking at the pattern then, thats my excuse. And I thought she was using [] brackets for larger size so the () kinda threw me off.