Fingerless gloves

Hi all. I’m doing fingerless gloves and doing them the magic loop method. And I’m not quite sure how to do the thumb. Well actually I have the thumb done but not sure how to pick up stitches. It says to pick up 3 additional stitches to fill in the gap. How do I do this? I searched YouTube but it’s not helping me much. Anyone have a good link that I can follow on YouTube? Thanks

Very nice looking fingerless gloves!
Here’s a video that may help. You need not add in the new strand as demonstrated if you prefer not to. I like to pick up an extra stitch at each end and then knit the extra stitch together with a hand stitch to avoid any holes.

1 Like

I saw that one there. But is a little confusing. She’s using the dpn’s and I’m using magic loop method. So I don’t know if I’ll get it right lol. Thanks a bunch :two_hearts:

It should work the same with magic loop. The idea is just to pick up the sts. You could put most of the thumb sts on one needle and pick up 3 + 2 on the needle with fewer thumb sts. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Thank you. Will do :blush:

Hi there. I still can’t get it. Picking up thumb stitches I’m referring to. Is there anyway you can point out in a close up picture of what stitches to pick up? I’m really stuck here lol. I honestly don’t know what to do with it. Thanks for any info

What is the name of your pattern? Can you post a photo of where you are and where you need to pick up sts. I’ll be happy to point out the sts.

This is the pattern I’m doing. It’s a one from Pinterest. But I’m not doing it exactly as stated. Same amount of stitches and all. And the thumb gusset is the same.

And this is where I’m at now

I don’t know if that picture is good enough though

Maybe this pattern?

If so, you’re knitting from the cuff up in the direction of the light blue arrow, yes? Are the red arrows pointing to areas that aren’t connected to the rest of the mitt or is it just a shadow?
Maybe a photo not so close up would help with orientation.

Yes from the cuff up. The red arrows are pointing to the stitches that are on the scrap yarn. Those stitches are already worked. That’s below the stitches where I have taken off the thumb stitches. I’ll see if I can get another picture. A better one if possible. I’ll send it tomorrow. It’s bedtime for me here now. So I’ll see what I can do with it tomorrow and send a picture further away. Thanks. I so appreciate your help thanks

OK, the photo below has the area to pick up sts marked in orange. See if that helps. It looks like picking up 3 sts will be enough to cover the hole or gap.

Yes that is the correct pattern that you sent me. It says pick up 3 additional stitches in the pattern. So that would be the first stitch from the edge? Would that be correct? And you would pick up that stitch from the top? Not from underneath right? That looks good what you have there. I knew it had to be around that area but didn’t know which ones and how. Will give that a try. God love ya. Thanks a bunch :two_hearts:

1 Like

This is going to work out just fine no matter which of the sts you pick up into. Don’t pick up where there is a single strand like the orange arrow below. Maybe pick up in the orange dots or nearby.

So the stitch in the middle of the orange arrow as well? The one in the middle and 1 on each side?

3 total?

See the last photo. Just don’t pick up at that single strand which connects the two sts on either side. It will just leave a hole and that’s what you’re trying to avoid. Better to pick up somewhat asymmetrically (2sts on one side of center, one stitch on the other).

I feel like an idiot lol. I have never picked up stitches before. The last set of fingerless gloves,I did pick up stitches but it was it was far from right lol. I only did one set before these

First time is always a challenge but this usually works out very nicely. Here’s a video for picking up sts. You’ll want to pick up with the right side or public side of the mitt facing.