Figuring out multiples when not given

Hello:

I know how to add to a pattern when a multiple is given, but when one is not, what is the formula?

Here is the pattern:

Cast on 91 st. K 10 rows. Row 1 K5 *P4 (K1tbl) 3 times, K1tbl; repeat from * until 9 st left, P4, K5.

I want to make this larger, but don’t know if it is a multiple of 10+1, 6 plus something, etc. I know there is a formula to do this when the multiple is not given, but don’t it.

Any help would be wonderful! Thank you in advance.

Usually a multiple of stitches is stated somewhere in the directions of the pattern. I am not positive of what I am going to say but I think the multiple is the stitches in between the * *.
try casting on 10 stitches for a border and multiples of 21 and then 10 more for the other border.Like this 10, 21,10 or 10 42 10, I hope this helps.

I agree with Daylily, look at the repeat between the asterisks and that usually gives you the multiple. You need to check on subsequent rows too.
I couldn’t get the row to add up but it looks like it may be missing a p1 in the parentheses (assuming this is the Sing the Song lap blanket pattern)

Row 1: k5, *p4, (k1tbl, [U]p1[/U]) 3 times, k1tbl; repeat from * until 9 stitches left, p4, k5

Given that, the repeat is 11 and the blanket works out to a multiple of 11+14.

Your multiple for the stitch patterns whatever is between the asterisks, plus whatever stitches at the end that don’t match the beginning. The stitches that match at the beginning and end - k5 in this case - are border stitches and not part of the pattern stitch itself.

So in this case, there are 8 stitches in the repeat, plus the four purls at the end. So multiple of 8 plus 4 for the pattern stitch, plus 10 for edge stitches.

But salmonmac is right. It doesn’t add up as written. 91 minus the 14 stitches outside the repeat isn’t divisible by 8. With the added purl its 11+4 plus whatever edges you want.

Yes, 11sts in the repeat:
p4, (k1tbl, p1) 3 times, k1tbl
p4 = 4sts
(k2tbl, p1) x 3 = 6sts
k1tbl = 1stitch

I agree, of the 9sts on the end, 4 are an additional rib of p4. The k5 mirrors the k5 border at the beginning of the row.