Felting Stitch Math Question

Hello I don’t know if this is where I post this I think it is :??..ok well I’m going to attempt making my own felted purse/bag without a pattern…I couldn’t find one that I really liked so I’m going to give it a go and make up my own pattern. :shock:

So I made a swatch just regular stockinette stitch 3 inches (W) x 3 inches (H) 10 stitchs by 11 rows. I felted the square and it shrank to 2 3/4 inches x 2 inches. NOW this is were I need help because I’m just plain stupid :ick: when it comes to math and such… I want the [B]FINISH[/B] bag, already felted, to be about 12 inches wide and 9 inches high (I’m not worried about the depth or the strap). So does that mean (PREfelted) it should measure about 13 inches wide and 12 inches high???

If I’m [B]TOTALLY[/B] wrong someone [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]PLEASE HELP ME[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]!!!:pray: :pray: :pray:

:teehee: Thanks

Sounds right to me. You lose 1/4" in width for every 3 inches knit, so if you want the finished width to be 12" add 1" (1/4 x 4) for the pre-felting size.

You lose 1 inch for every 3 inches in length, so add 3" to the pre-felting size for the length. So it should be 13" x 12" pre-felting.

… so long as your swatch measurements were dead on and the bigger piece felts at the same rate… :wink:

[B][SIZE=4] :hug::muah:THANKS SO MUCH :muah: :hug: [/SIZE][/B]

I wasn’t sure and i didn’t want to waist good yarn :shifty:.

You’re welcome!! Just check on your piece as it’s felting pretty often so you don’t felt it too much.