Felting Question

Does garter stitch felt differently than stockinette?

Yes. You can see the garter ridges. Of course, it will show up less or more depending on the type and thickness of yarn that you started with.

Will it work to use garter stitch for the bottom of a bag and the stockinette for the sides?

Certainly, I think the garter actually felts a little thicker and that’s a good thing for the bottom. Mary

When I make bags - I prefer to use garter stitch for the bottom. I like the extra thickness garter stitch seems to have when it felts. Have fun!!

I have my bottom done and have picked up my stitches to start knitting the sides in the round and have 2 rounds done, I could find a pattern that was the size I wanted so I am winging it.

Winging is good…how many stitches? I wanna see! I just love to do bags!

I started with by casting on 32 stitches on size 10 1/2’s and knited untill I had about 16 inches. So it is a 7 1/2" x 16 bottom (unfelted) I justed picked up stitches in the same spots on the knitting as I went around I didn’t count after I got past 100. I think I might decrease some as I get past the half way mark about (10 inches) at that point I will count and figure out what I want to do.

Nice size! Love to see it when you’re ready! Mary