Felting question

I have never felted anything before, and am planning on attempting it in the next month or so, depending on time, life, etc.

I you knit something with a cable on it, then felted it would the cable still show?

There is a pattern on knittingpatterncentral.com for a felted clutch with cables and they show up very nicely. If knitted on big needles, it should show fine.

This is the pattern I was talking about. I’m not sure if I attached it correctly.

http://spunmag.com/article/060421cleo

THANKS!! That helps alot.

Also, since I haven’t felted before, I’m kinda a felting idjit…but when you put the item (say a purse), to be felted in the washer, how come it doesn’t felt it together? Why is there still the middle section open? (hope that makes sense.)

Letah, I’m getting ready to do my first felting project too; a tote bag with front & side pockets; and am wondering about the same thing, especially whether the pockets might stick to the body. I read somewhere that you can stuff a plastic grocery bag inside to keep the pieces from felting where they shouldn’t but I don’t know if that’s a good idea or not. Can any felting veterans help?

I haven’t felted any bags, but I’ve never heard of the sides sticking together, ever. If that was a problem, I’m sure there would be a solution. I’d think that with pockets they wouldn’t really felt together, either, since there’s not a lot of agitation between the pocket and the side of the bag against each other. Even if they felt together a bit, I’m pretty sure just running a finger in there would separate them–just the fuzz might stick.

Thanks, Ingrid - I feel better now. Come to think of it, when my husband accidentally “felted” my favorite sweater years ago, the sleeves didn’t close up so I’m sure you’re right.

If all goes well, I’ll be ready to felt the tote next weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Ingrid is right, at least in my experience. I have never had a pocket fuse shut.

The only time I’ve ever had an “inadvertent bonding experience” is when I had made a purse strap from just stockinette, and the sides rolled (duh!) and it fused into a sort of double tube – not what I had in mind but also not bad.

Now, I either make a moss stitch (even number of stitches, {k1, p1} every row) or and I-cord. I am itching to try a new figure 8 I-cord someone tipped me off to, which might be a more intentional version of what happened with the stockinette strap! :lol:

I am so glad that other people have the same questions as me. Reminds me of highschool, There are no dumb questions…only new knitters.

:frog:

Oh, I’ve got a question about felting, too.
Do I need to use 100% wool yarn? Or maybe can it be 50% wool, 50% acrylic? :shock:

Some blends will felt, but I doubt that a 50/50 blend would. I think that the blends that felt are the yarns that have a main wool strand and another thin strand mixed in, if you know what I mean. You can always knit a swatch and see what it looks like. The wool part may felt, but the non-wool won’t.