Felting...is it ruined?

I knit a striped bag. Followed directions, gauge everything. Get to felting instructions, just says felt in washing machine.

So, I do a quick search for best felting instructions. I decide to use a tablespoon of detergent, small load, and toss the bag in hot water.

I check on it 5 mins later, nothing, 10 mins nothing, rinse is coming, so I restart it. I did this like 5 times.

And all my bag has done is gotten bigger (saggier).

Is there anything I can do, or is this bag a wash (:wink:)

Is the yarn definatly a feltable yarn? for felting you need an animal fibre such as sheep wool and some felt better than others. Make sure your machine is on the hottest cycle and is getting plenty of agitation.

I used this one
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2842&PRODID=prd23045
Wool-ease is a 4-ply worsted-weight yarn that is so beloved by knitters and crocheters that it inspired an entire family of yarns. Wool-Ease is appreciated for its versatility and value. It has the feel, warmth and softness of wool and the easy care of acrylic. It’s extensive color range makes it easy to design with and perfect for every project from socks to afghans. We will try to match dyelots, but dyelots are not guaranteed Care: Machine Wash and Dry

That yarn is mostly acrylic, which doesn’t felt… so likely it won’t felt, I’d think. Someone with actual felting experience may correct me, though, so don’t take my word for it :slight_smile: I hope your bag isn’t ruined!

Wool-Ease (which I love) will not felt. It is mostly acrylic and only a little bit of wool. I made a hat once with it that was a little big, I thought I would try to shrink it a little. Mind you I was not trying to felt it, I knew it wouldn’t do that, but I thought maybe I could shrink it a little. I used hot water, and like your experience it got bigger and saggier instead of my intended smaller. I later worn it a little myself (it had been intended as a gift for my of my granddaughters) and it wasn’t bad. It was soft and loose, but worked. Maybe your bag will serve some purpose.