Felting and stitch type

The instructions for my pattern say to knit in st st. (bottom of bag) Since it will be felted, does it make a difference if I knit it in st st or garter stitch? Other than they gauge may be different, would it matter?

candice

I think the felting will look nicer if it is in st st

Depends on the bag, but I’ve knit most of mine in garter stitch…I think it’s a little sturdier and I can’t tell a difference between the stst sides and the garter bottom.

Why would it look nicer in st st? If it is felted, you won’t see the stitches anyway?

I just don’t know if it makes a structural difference or difference in the shrinkage.

Candice

I think it does make a bit of structural difference in that it is sturdier than stst

I’ve done two bags, one in garter and one in stockinette and can’t really tell the difference other than the garter stitch bag seems a little sturdier/thicker. I don’t see any point in doing anything fancy if it’s going to be felted really unless you intend to just felt slightly so the stitches show a bit. Then what stitch you use might be of importance.

The garter stitch bag I did was knit flat and the st st bag was done in the round so I chose the easiest stitch for the pattern. :wink:

Hi!
My question is similar to this one, so I’m tacking it onto the same thread. I hope that’s ok.

I have 2 skeins of Debbie Bliss Maya which I want to make into a bag. My thickest gauge circular needles are 3.75 mm, while the recommended size for the yarn is 5.5 mm. So I have to knit with my thickest straights, which are 5.5 mm. My gauge swatch was stockinette, but I thought it would be easier to do garter stitch since I have to work on straights.

So, my questions are:

1. Will using garter instead of stockinette change the gauge (dumb question) :oops:

2. Does garter stitch use more yarn than stockinette? I only have the two skeins and can’t get more, so I want to maximise the mileage of the yarn. :XX:

3. Does garter felt as easy/hard as stockinette? (although I hand felted my swatch, I’ll probably machine felt the bag)

Thank you reading and answering.

The only problem with tacking onto another thread is that it’s often overlooked. People see the thread and think they’ve already read it so it’s usually best to create a new thread. :wink:

So, my questions are:

1. Will using garter instead of stockinette change the gauge (dumb question) :oops:

It may change it some, but if it’s not clothing I don’t see it as a problem.

1. Does garter stitch use more yarn than stockinette? I only have the two skeins and can’t get more, so I want to maximise the mileage of the yarn. :XX:

I don’t think garter uses more than stockinette. Cables and some other stitches use more, but I think you’ll be fine for a bag.

1. Does garter felt as easy/hard as stockinette? (although I hand felted my swatch, I’ll probably machine felt the bag)

Garter felts just as well as stockinette. I’ve done one of each and I didn’t see much difference.

Be sure to share your project when you’re done!
:thumbsup:

Thanks for replying!

I thought if I started a new thread I’d simply be directed to this thread again, which doesn’t exactly answer my questions :thinking:

I’d already knit and un-knit 20 rows of garter stitch…will have to restart it. There is a chance I might get some larger gauge needles next week. Maybe I’ll wait for that. I’m really waffling over this project because I’ve never worked with wool before or felted. You can’t imagine what it took to cut the yarn at the end of the swatch today :shock: