Feather & Fan washcloth

I found a pattern for a feather and fan washcloth on the back of Na Sugar 'n Cream yarn label. I began knitting and ran into problems right away. I ended up searching on the internet and I found another similar pattern that worked just fine. Anyway, I am just curious, really, could anyone tell me if there is a problem with the first line of this pattern, or am I just not understanding it correctly? Here is exactly the way the first line reads: CO 48 sts
*k2. yfwd. K4. (K2tog) twice. K4. yfwd. K1.yfwd. K4. (k2tog) twice. K4. yfwd.K2 ReDpeat from *

Don’t you end up with more stitches than you start with? :?? :??

Thanks!

No, there’s 4 YOs and 4 decs in the pattern repeat. If you look at the start of the row and name your sts - K2, yo, k4, k2tog, k2tog, k4, yo, k1, yo, k1, k4, k2tog, k2tog, k4, yo, k2 - you may find that you put in an extra yo or forgot a k2tog.

My feather and fan pattern has 18 stitches for each repeat of the pattern. The way I keep track is to put a marker between each repeat. On one row you decrease and increase the number of stitches that were decreased so that you end up with the same number of stitches you started with.

A F&F pattern can have as little as 8sts and as many as you want. But it’s a good idea for the first few repeats to put st markers between repeats to count them easier.

Thank you both so much for taking the time to look at it! I think all the "yfwd"s were throwing me off. When it said “yfwd. k4,” I thought that meant to add a yo to each knit stitch!! LOL No wonder I was confused!

Thanks again for your help. Next time I’ll know!