Feather and Fan

I started making a dishcloth using the pattern:

Cast on 42 stitches (or a multiple of 18 plus 6)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2]Knit 3 rows of garter stitch for the border.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][B]Row 4: [/B]Knit [SIZE=2][B]Row 5: [/B]K 3, P to last 3 stitches K3
[SIZE=2][B]Row 6: [/B]K3, *(K2 tog) 3 times, (yo, K1) 6 times, (K2 tog) 3 times, rep from * to last 3 sts K3
[SIZE=2][B]Row 7: [/B]Knit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]… and I stopped after awhile because I thought I was doing something wrong. Wouldn’t continuing this pattern just make more and more stitches as you go on?? As in, a ton more than you started with? :??[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Am I just missing the trick here?
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Nope! The k2togs cancel out the yo k1s - you should end up with the same # of stitches. It took me a bit to get it straight too, but I checked your pattern against what I used to do a shawl, and it’s right. You’ll get a wave effect - Its a nice, easy to remember, lace effect.

Good luck with it.

In this pattern and a lot of other lace patterns, there are a lot of yarn overs and knit 2 togethers that cancel each other out for lack of a better term.

In your pattern, you knit 2 together three times. This decreases 6 stitches to 3 stitches. Next, you do 6 yarn overs. This makes 6 stitches. Last, you do three more knit 2 togethers, taking six stitches to 3 stitches. See how that works out? In this pattern you start with 12 stitches then have 3, 6, and 3, for a total of 12.

I’m working on a lace pattern too right now and it’s kind of hard. But the best advice I have is to count your stitches at the end of each row and if there’s a problem, look for it and fix it while you don’t have to frog the whole thing back.

Hope this helps,
Kristin