Feather and Fan Stole

Ok, I’ll start off with this. I found this pattern on www.knitspot.com.
It is fine but I’d like it bigger. It says it is a pattern of 6 sts plus 6 for something (?). My question is, if I want it wider do I add multiples of 6 plus 6 for (?)? It would be easier if someone could just tell me how many to cast on. I have multiple sclerosis and that is not an excuse. Just an explanation of how my brain doesn’t aways work in the way that it should. I’ve lost a considerable part of my memory and the use of my right leg, so I’d be afraid if I figured it out, it would be wrong…Presently it is 21" X 72". The length is fine but I would like it wider. Somewhere around 28" - 32" would be great.

So please don’t leave it to my mushy brain to try to figure it out. I’ve got the stitch pattern down as I used to knit baby blankets out of this pattern. Could someone please help me? You’ve never let me down yet and I don’t suppose you will this time, either. You are a great bunch of ladies and I really appreciate the fact that you are here even if I don’t use you very often.

Another question. Would this look good with bulky yarn or should I use a lighter weight yarn. Any thoughts would be apprciated…

:muah::knitting:

Your stitch count should be a multiple of 6 plus an additional six stitches. I don’t know how many stitches you have on now to produce a 21" width, so I can’t tell you how many more to put on, but your numbers would be something like 42 (6 times 6, plus 6) or 48 (6 times 7, plus 6) or 60 (6 times 9, plus 6). The additional 6 stitches are probably for a border of 3 stitches at each side worked in garter stitch.

Having said that, though, every Feather and Fan pattern I’ve ever worked was a multiple of 18, so I’m not sure what’s going on with yours. I’d hate to see you get rolling, only to get mucked up. Hopefully others will chime in with help!

I haven’t started it yet. It says to cast on 87 sts…this will give me a 21" stole. As you can see, I’m lost…

But 87 stitches isn’t a multiple of 6 plus six at all! Have you thought about writing the designer? Something’s mucked up for sure.

Ok, I switched back to my baby afghan pattern. It is 35" wide, and I only want 30. Instructions say to cast on 138 sts (using worsted weight yarn). Unless you can suggest a yarn that would work better…How many do I cast on for this pattern?

So I’m not suer this answer will be correct without seeing the pattern (didn’t see a feather and fan pattern on the link you posted, I may be blind)…But if 138 stitches gave you 35" then 118 would give you 30. However, the feather and fan pattern I use is a multiple of 18 stitches + 6stitches for the border. I cannot break 138 stitches down to that so your pattern may be slightly different. If yours is a multiple of 6 + 6 the you would cast on 120 (this gives you 3 for a border + 19 repeats of pattern at 6 stitches + 3 for a border). With my feather and fan pattern that repeats on 18 stitches I would cast on 114 stitches b/c this gives me 6 for a border and 6 pattern reapeats.
Plus, rememebe the overall size of the project is based on needle size and yarn guage…
Hope that helps

for the gauge you gived, 117, but I have no idea if that will work with the baby blanket pattern.

The feather and fan stole has six repeats in the picture - and I haven’t found any variation I know of that fits into the cast on number you mentioned, either with or without “plus six”

Where is the pattern you use??? If I may ask…

Here is a free pattern for feather and fan- there are directions for 3 different sizes in one download. The ‘shawl’ is, I think, 21" wide, and the throw is 28" wide. http://www.knitpicks.com/Lace+1+2+3+Suri+Dream+Throw+Pattern_PD50478220.html

Thank you soooo much…I’m thinking of using this to knit it with…

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]This is our narrow rayon ribbon, - - handpainted in shades of lavenderrose, greygreen, lavender. There are about 500 yards per 8 oz. skein, this is a worsted weight yarn and takes needles around size 8 or so - for about 5 stitches per inch.

How does that sound?:muah:
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ok, I wrote the designer and this was her answer…

hi margaret,i don’t know about the number being divisible by six; the pattern is a 17-stitch repeat, plus it has a few selvedge sts. many many people have knit the pattern without trouble (including myself and a dozen or so of my students), so i would think it is fine!

Now what do we do?

I’d like to knit this but I need it wider…can anyone help me? The pattern is on Knitspot.com (see below). It’s a beautiful pattern but I need it wider. The pattern is for 21" and I’d like it about 28"…can ANYONE help me???

http://www.knitspot.com/knitting_pattern/lace-shawls-wraps-c-1.html

And I’m knitting it in:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]This is our narrow rayon ribbon, - - handpainted in shades of lavenderrose, greygreen, lavender. There are about 500 yards per 8 oz. skein, this is a worsted weight yarn and takes needles around size 8 or so - for about 5 stitches per inch.

Please get back to me if you can help me…
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Wrote to the designer and her reply is posted here…

thanks for all your help…

For the stole it says 16 stitches is 4" in pattern and you quoted her as saying it’s a 17 stitch repeat so I would cast on 2 more repeats or 34 more stitches. That would bring your total of cast on stitches to 121 as far as I can tell.

What do you think of this for the yarn???

I really needed your help and I am forever grateful…

Let me know what you think of the yarn…
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Why don’t you do a practice swatch following the instructions (i.e., multiple of 6 + 6), but only doing a few repeats? That should show you whether the pattern is right or wrong and fairly quickly, too. For example, cast on 24 – (3x6)+6 – and try working 3 repeats. If the pattern doesn’t work out, rip it out and try the 17+6 that the author gave you and see how that works.

And if neither of them seem to be working, go back to your baby afghan pattern! After all, sometimes there’s nuthin’ like the ol’ tried and true!

If the actual stitch pattern is a multiple of 17 plus 6, (which would be right for a F&F pattern) try a swatch of 40 sts to get 2 repeats of the pattern. Then measure the swatch, take off the 3 sts on each end (that would probably be about an inch) and use that to figure how many sts you need for th 28" width.