Favorite Tools Besides Needles and Crochet Hook

For knitting, we all need needles and one can debate forever what is the best type and brand of needles. Most also use a crochet hook for fixing dropped stitches. Then there are optional tools that we might find handy. What are your favorite tools?

Mine are:

• stitch markers.
  • a ruler with holes for measuring needle sizes.

I love all kinds of darning needles. (I have way more than I need because I keep losing them, buy more and then find the “lost” ones) And stitch markers. But my FAVORITE tools of all time are

TOTE BAGS!!!

I have all shapes and sizes, colors and variety!!! Some with zippers and some without!! Can’t pass by a purse display in the store without stopping to look and decide which one would be great for knitting!!

Knitcindy

I love row counters, particularly the Clover ones where you just click once, rather than the round ones you have to turn 2 wheels to change the count. I know several people who write down all the rows then tick them off, but row counters are much easier. I also love point protectors, although I think I’m the only knitter I know who uses them!

GrimMarg: I did my first in-the-round DPN project about 10 years ago, and I am doing my second one now. I got point protectors the first time, so my metal needles wouldn’t slide right out. Other knitters, though, look at them like they’ve never seen such a thing! The name doesn’t really match the purpose, but I can’t even think of using DPNs without them.

I haven’t done much with DPNs except the tops of hats. But I use the point protectors on my circulars all the time. I’ve seen new knitters stab their needles into their work to put in their project bag, and I almost gasp out loud. All that work and needles jammed into it!

I really like my little spring-wound tape measure. It can be used to measure anything up to five feet, even curved edges (which a ruler can’t), but it’s tiny and lightweight and you can buy them in sewing shops for pennies.

I’m generally not one for knitting accessories in general. Most of the things I use are just repurposed odds and ends or borrowed from other uses, like using waste yarn for stitch holders or using a flute as a nostepinne.

Tote bags and stitch markers. I knit and crochet, and I find I need different types of markers for each one.

My favorite tool is my cellphone. I put knitting instructions and measurements in my Notes app. Then I always have them with me when I go to the yarn shop. And it refreshes your memory when you haven’t knit one of your favorite projects for a while. I’ve found that many patterns are in pdf format. Those I save to my Books app or my Kindle app. I’m not hunting around for scraps of paper or leaving the notebook at home. Everything’s in one place and my cellphone is always with me. Pattern is my own with my crazy notations.image

(Gasp)

I have tried several items for wrapping a center pull ball or cake.
There is a heavy cardboard tube inside boxes of kitchen plastic or foil wrap that works well. Plus it is in the the “reduce, reuse, and recycle” green mantra.

And they are light weight and a comfortable size for a relaxed grip.

My favorite tool is a double tipped crochet hook.