Favorite Patterns for Texas Baby

Hooray! We are expecting a new grandchild in Texas!

My dear DIL wants knitted/crocheted things. I’m a Northerner and somehow my many sweater patterns, even for newborns, seem as if they will be too heavy.

I would love suggestions regarding yarns and patterns that are Texas-friendly. They are in Houston.

Thanks so

Oops, hit the wrong key. Meant to say:

Thanks so much!

nancy

Well, it does usually get REALLY cold for about a week…kidding, well sort of.

I don’t have any patterns off the bat BUT as long as they can easily layered you’ll be safe. I live in Texas and I swear that is how we all make it thru the winter.

We live in Houston and the only recommendation I can think of is to knit w/ cotton yarn…sorry if that is obvious.

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

For babies, I would recommend a soft acrylic. It’s not going to be quite as warm as wool, but very appropriate for cool weather or cool a/c. And easy, easy care. :slight_smile:

Ooops! I just skipped the pattern section of the question completely! Sorry!

I lived in southern Mississippi and Louisiana till abour 3 1/2 years ago. The patterns I used usually had some kind of open type stitch. You may want to make something with a stitch that creates a firmer fabric, but you can have fun with other stitches, too. I have a pattern book for sweater sets and layettes from Leisure Arts that I like a lot. I have also found patterns online or on the yarn bands that I like. I’ll have to see if I can find links to patterns or at least pics of the patterns that I have used.

And congratulations on the new grand baby. :smiley:

ETA: I made this pattern using Lion Brand Cotton Ease in the 6 month size and it turned out nice. Notice that it doesn’t button all the down. This probably makes it more comfortable in warm temperatures.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70205A.html?noImages=0

We live in South Texas and I use Encore which is part acrylic part wool and washable on my childrens sweaters.

Congratulations on the new baby!

There are some great free patterns available on line here and here. Here is one version of the 5 hour baby sweater. If you don’t like this one, there are more modified patterns you can find. Also some adorable knits from Debbie Bliss Baby.

I like a cotton blend here is Texas so lots of times use Cotton Ease for my baby stuff. Machine wash and dry. Have fun - baby knitting is instant gratification.