Favorite Cast On for Lace Knitting

Hi Everyone,
I’ve never done lace knitting before and have decided to make an infinity scarf for Mom.
It says to cast on “360” stitches…Double YUCK. I’m using the beautiful Folio yarn from Berocco. I’ve already frogged 3 times because I’m casting on way too tight.
I’ve been using the German twisted cast on but I’m now wondering if there’s another method that some of you very seasoned knitting veterans would recommend.
Thanks in advance!

PS: I have a sweater and a top already half finished. Why I’m starting another project is beyond me. How many projects do you have going at one time?

I was going to suggest German twisted. Maybe cast on with larger needles?

Hi Jan,
I’ve been using the GT co which is lovely…I’m going to take your advice and go up a needle size for CO. I’m not the most adept knitter but will try to change to the smaller circulars when I start my round. My problem is making sure I have a tight joint and not twisting the 360 stitches! I’m also going to use a lifeline. I use Knitpick interchangeables so I can thread my line through the little hole in the needle.
Thanks so much.

On a side note: I was thinking…I could pay someone to CO the 360 stitches for me! How much is it worth? Hmmm.

I can’t think of anything more frustrating than not having enough yarn for the long tail CO and having 288 stitches already casted! YUCK!!!:wall:

You can always cast on for long tail or German twisted cast on using two ends of yarn. That way you don’t have to worry about ever running out of yarn. Once the cast on is finished, cut one of the strands and continue with the other.

Yeah, that’s what I’d do, too. You can either use two skeins or both ends of one skein.

I’ve been using one skein and pulling both ends together. I found a video on YouTube describing this method. As both of you mentioned, it can alleviate the biggest of headaches!
After doing some research, I think I’m going to try the knitted cast on instead of the German twisted. I have a tendency toward uneven co stitches with the GT and think I may be more consistent “knitting” them on. Will see.
Thanks again.

The alternative might be a provisional cast on if you’re concerned that the cast on and bind off match.

Good point…I’ve never done provisional co. I’ll check it out on Youtube. Thank god for technology.