Fauxhawk Hat KAL

Okay, as some of you know, I design my own stuff. But I am BORED BORED BORED with my current design that is taking me forever. I need a break. So I have ordered the “Pretty in Punk” book to make the fauxhawk hat which will be my sister’s back to school gift this year. Here is a link to a previous post about the hat, and where you can find pattern. My book should be here in three days. JOIN ME! This should be a fun quick knit, depending on if you decide to do any color work.

I’ll join you! After I saw Pammie’s, I decided to make one for a friend who’s a big DM fan. Probably black and red like the cover of Violator. Will you incorporate any design?

I haven’t decided. I am going to wait for the book and then go look at yarn. Usually the yarn will speak to me. :teehee:

I can’t WAIT to see what you both do with this hat! And what you think!

Count me in!! :thumbsup: I have to finish a Harry Potter scarf by next Tuesday, but I’ll start my fauxhawk as soon as I’m done! I’m going with a Harry Potter Gryffindor color scheme for mine.

Yes, I am a Harry Potter nerd :teehee:

join the club. :roflhard:

that hat is definitely on my “to knit” list. it just looks so awesome and completely unexpected.

Yay! I’m excited to have some peeps to knit this with. I can’t wait for the book to arrive. UGH. I hate waiting!

There’s an almost identical version in the Domiknitrix book.

I’ll have a pair of knucks finished by tomorrow for a friend, and the charity blanket will probably arrive at my house on Thursday or Friday. So, it may be a week before I begin it.

Huh, I wonder how that happens? I think that would piss me off!

Anyway, WHY why isn’t my book here yet? It’s been almost 24 hours since I ordered it! :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

[SIZE=1]I dunno which of them published it first. [/SIZE]

CarmenIbanez: I want instant gratification and I want it now! :!!!:

:rofl:

Is that really so much to ask? :shrug:

:teehee:

I think I’d like to join in on this one. (My first KAL!)

Since my library only has copies of the Dominknitrix book, I put in a request for it and should have it in a few days. Zip, I hope you’re right about it being almost identical, because I loved PammieJR’s!

What kind of yarn is everyone going to use?

I am thinking of knitting this, but I am very novice knitter. How difficult is this pattern? Any thing especially complicated?

Thanks!

the Domiknitrix mohawk

the Pretty in Punk mohawk (includes a second pattern for one done in colorwork)

zipped review:
the Domiknitrix book is a true knitting book, filled with techniques, tutorials and patterns - [SIZE=1]it’s seriously awesome[/SIZE]. The PiP book includes patterns and a glossary. They’re priced the same, so I’d choose Domiknitrix if I had to choose only one.

It looks like they are almost identical, although made with different materials?

The Pretty in Punk is a wool/mohair blend and you felt it slightly to get that crazy fluffed out mohawk

The dominatrix also kinda looks like a Roman helmet versus the Pretty in Punk which is a hat with earflaps…does that make sense? The ear part looks different?

Since I have already knitted my share of fauxhawks, I can guide people through the Pretty in punk mohawk if anyone needs it. I was in contact with the author the whole time I was knitting it, she gave me some hints!

PS. I just checked out the domiknitrix website…coolstuff!

The Domiknitrix version does look Roman helmety! :rofl: Good call. The yarn requirements read superwash for the black portion and wool/mohair blend for the green. Also, instructions aren’t included for the attached i-cord, plus felting the Pretty in Punk version makes a difference in the final appearance.

Good to know that you’ll be on call for all of us!

Where is that darned book!!! It’s been AT LEAST 36 hours now!

Thanks for the review and display/explanation of the two hats/books, Zip! It was very helpful.

Do you think if I went with the DK version, used the mohair/wool for the hawk, and did a bit of felting I could get the same fluffed out look? I’m knitting this for my brother, and I think he’s more of Roman Helmet style person. :lol:

I can’t believe I missed this KAL!
I’m going to be knitting this…going today to see if Pretty in Punk is still at Barnes & Nobles.

My DH’s grandson was diagnosed with lymphoma on Monday. He is 17 and not very happy about losing his hair when chemo starts. I’m sure I’ll be knitting a few caps for him and I thought this would be a fun one for him. Do you agree?