Fasten Off

I have a pattern for a baby blanket which is knit in seven strips of five blocks each. The each individual block has a seed stich border with a stockinette stich center in a different color. The blocks say to join in the second color to make the center stiches and then “fasten off” that color to continue with the seed stich border. All of the instructions I have found for fastening off relate this step as the same as binding off. Since this is the center of a block this would not be feasible. I am imagining that fastening off means to tie and cut this yarn but I am unsure as to the best way to do this without leaving unsightly knots on the back side of this work which will be visable since this is a blanket and not something I can hide. Can anyone help me with the best way to “fasten off” a different color yarn as I have to do this several times throught the pattern. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!!

Fasten off means to cut the yarn and fasten the end. You don’t have to knot it, pull the yarn end through several stitches and that will hold it.

sue

Thanks for the tip!! I really appreciate it:: However, I am fairly new to knitting anything other than simple scarfs and handbags and while I under stand that I need to cut the yarn, which stitches do I pull the end through? the ones that I am about to knit or the ones that are already knit with that color? If I pull it through the ones that I am about to knit won’t the color show through into the other color I am knitting. I know this is probably a very silly question but this is my first blanket which I am knitting for my very special niece (or nephew) that will be arriving in June and I don’t want to make any mistakes. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I don’t do much color work but try this… Drop color A and start working with color B. After a couple rows, cut off color A, leaving a 3 inch tail and just leave it until you’re finished. When you’re done, weave colors A and B through the same color stitches. You may have to kind of cross them over before you do the weaving so they’re secured and won’t leave a hole, but probably won’t need to do a knot.

sue

Thanks again!! I really appreciate your help!! I’ll definitely be using your suggestion when I come to that part in my pattern. :slight_smile: