FAQ...Mysterious extra stitches? Look Here!

Always remember, stitch markers are your friend.
I’m doing a baby afghan that uses seed stitch. about 100 stitches across. I placed stitch markers in strategic places to help me keep on track whether I’m supposed to be knitting or purling. and it also helps me make sure I’ve got the right number of stitches.

I do use stitch markers for counting my stitches, too. For example when casting on. In pattern setups I also use them to devide pattern repeats (every one or a multiple to them) to keep track more easily.

but in seed stitch I do never use that. It is so visible what stitch comes next. All it takes is a look at the pattern you have already made. I only can get off track when I don’t look and think I know what I am doing. Mostly it works, but sometimes I have to knit back a bit. :slight_smile:

but, yes, stitch markers are friends!

Thank you, I was driving myself nuts! I could not figure it out and these ladies would not share the secret with me over the phone and could not get out to meet them till next week! Thank you again!

I am so glad that this ‘problem’ was mentioned in this thread because I am a new knitter and each and every time I would start a new project I would always end up with extra stitches, or less stitches than I had started with. Now, I admit that I get VERY excited when I get the hang of a new technique and I try to go faster than I should. It gets difficult for my hands to go slower than my brain.
I guess now, I will SLOW DOWN so I don’t have to keep starting, stopping and unraveling my work. Wish me luck!
:happydance:

I was just going to ask this same question. I am a really new knitter and am attempting to follow a pattern to make a dishcloth. I started with 40 and now have 44! It has really thrown my pattern off. I will keep practicing. I am bound and determined to get this! How do I get back on track with a pattern if extra stitches have been added? Thanks and I love this site!

Correcting this kind of mistake depends on the pattern. For some things you may want to undo the rows and correct the extra sts. I think that for a dishcloth, you could knit 2 together 4 times across the row, maybe once at the beginning of the row, two times somewhere towards the middle and once near the end of the row. Then you should be back to 40sts. But how and whether to correct the extra sts is up to you.
Increases and decreases could become an added feature of the pattern!

Thanks for your help! I am just going to keep practicing until I get it right! Again, I appreciate the help.

lol I was picking up extra stitches as well! Here I was being careful not to drop any and instead they seemed to just “leap” onto my needle. I did just as others recommended, take it slow and watch what I am picking up. I also count each row after I knit it as I am still new to knitting. After 2 months I am finding that I am making fewer errors and hopefully will feel confident enough to stop counting stitches after every row. It wastes a lot of time but for now it is better than having to go back and unravel rows

It’s [I]still[/I] a good idea to count sts because, as you say, it saves time in the end if you catch mistakes early. Maybe you can count every other row? For pattern sts, it may help to put in stitch markers every pattern repeat or every 10-20sts to make counting easier.

This topic is interesting

just found this. what a lifesaver/stressreducer. thank you all.

Okay, this is what I call the amazing increase phenomenon. I used to get this all the time. When your using garter stitch and shoving of the old loop sometime it won’t make it all the way off, and the yarn either splits so some, but not all is on your needle or just flies on the other needle and then you make a mistake and knit it. What I have found helps with this problem is to count you stitches that you have cast on. That way when your not sure if you should knit a stitch you can see if it was there before. If it was not there before the just gently lift it off the needle. Using bulky yarn makes t even more easy to catch. Happy knitting! Good luck! :knitting:

You are bringing an extra piece of yarn with you when you pull your stitch through. ALL new knitters do this. Watch your right hand needle, make sure it is going CAREFULLY through the stitch on the left needle, going through a nice clean hole- not piercing the area below it, or else you will bring TWO yarns over to the right side instead of just ONE. The only yarn that should be going over to the right hand needle is the yarn that is in your hand, NOT the stitch from left hand needle. SLOWLY move the stitches over, watch exactly what you are doing.

This may have been mentioned before but when I was starting out I would think I had dropped a stitch when I hadn’t so would pick up a stitch and then find out I had loads of extra stitches!

@WhampusKitty @Evie You’re welcome to post here if you have a question, but this is a very old thread. :wink:

:smiley: I only posted because it was top of my unread topic list! It’s all that @WhampusKitty’s fault :stuck_out_tongue:

:joy:

If only I could figure out how to make my edges neater

When I was having trouble with my edges, top and bottom, not side edges, I learned how to use a crochet cast on and now my top and bottom edges match. :slight_smile: For side edges, slipping a stitch like amy said will help. I am still a struggling beginner soaking up knowledge here on the forum.

Well I don’t feel so frustrated now that I know lots of beginners add stitches. I am now counting every time I complete a row. I didn’t know how to get back to my 30 stiches so at the end I picked up 2 loops to decrease the 34. I am half way through my very first scarf. I must say if looks awful LOL, but I will finish it and next project learn to read a pattern. I will not give up! Need all the help I can get.

Welcome to KH!
You have the perfect attitude. We’ve all pushed our way through those first projects and initial learning curves. We’ll all be happy to help whenever you need it.
Sounds like you’re doing the right thing with your scarf, too.