FAQ....Is your STOCKINETTE CURLING? Here's the solution!

Yes. If you bound them off and then sewed them, it might be too tight. If you sew one stitch at a time off the needle, it isn’t supposed to pull. This is an EZ technique for sewing up after though hems.

Thanks! I’m gonna work on it tonight and hopefully will make some progress and come up with something that will solve the problem. I think I have an idea that will not involve ripping out the trim that I had already done.

wow… i learned a lot just by reading!!! now i know curling wasn’t me doing something wrong. :smiley:

thank you very much for videos and such. it helps newbies a LOT.

EDIT:

er, a question. like Amy suggested, i tried to rib. as in k1p1. so if you are an english knitter who holds yearn on her right hand, do you have to ‘untwist’ every time you switch from knitting or purling? i find it very annoying and more importantly time consuming. is there any other way to do it? (or am i doomed? :shock: ) or should i change to continental?

er, a question. like Amy suggested, i tried to rib. as in k1p1. so if you are an english knitter who holds yearn on her right hand, do you have to ‘untwist’ every time you switch from knitting or purling? i find it very annoying and more importantly time consuming. is there any other way to do it? (or am i doomed? :shock: ) or should i change to continental?[/quote]

Did someone answer your question yet? I"m not sure what you mean about “untwist”–you have to move the working yarn from front to back/back to front each time, but it shouldn’t twist. :thinking:

I’m doing the upper part of halter top in stockinette (the part like triangle… dec every row). It says to prevent curling I need to knit the first and last st of every purl row… will it work? I need to know before I begin that part cuz if it doesnt work then I’ll just have to try other options…

This may be a totally stupid idea but could you iron the stockinette scarf to help it lay flat? I’m a newbie too and am currently working on a purse done almost entirely in this stitch and its curling for me too. I thought that maybe ironing it would help. Is there a reason this won’t work? I won’t do it until I get an answer because I don’t want to ruin my work. :smiley:

If you iron acrylic, it will melt! I’m not sure what would happen to wool, but usually wool can be blocked, at least with water or steam. It’s the nature of stockinette to curl–the difference in tension between the knit side and the purl. BUT if you are going to seam the curling edges, that’s enough to straighten them out.

Glad I asked :shock: There are so many things I still have to learn.

This is no earthshattering news of enlightenment, but I’m thinking about scarfs that I see in the store for sale. If they are stockinette stitch they are NEVER one layer. They are knitted in the round and that makes them ‘tubelike’ so their rolling in just makes the tube, no problem.[/b]

She probably was suggesting that you put a crocheted edge on it.

But yes, stockinette does curl. It just does. Consider it a “design feature.”

neither do I. but just do garter stitch or seed stitch for 3 rows, and then knit the first 3 and the last 3 stitches in garter stitch or seed stitch (which ever you did the 3 rows for).

ah so there IS? a way to do stockinette without it curling? :eyebrow: I thought there was none. :slight_smile:

:wink: You know there isn’t a way to stop plain old st st from curling.

I think crocheting an edge really does help. Try to crochet it deep. I mean, instead of just at the very very edge of the scarf, stick the needle in a few stitches, so that when you do your single crochet, it is single crochet worked over the last 3 or so stitches of each row of the work. Or not quite each row, since crochet stitches will generally be thicker, but you get the idea.

Hi, Yes the stitching curls, because it’s asymetric. The bumps are all on one side and the "V"s on the other. Because of this, it curls towards the "V"s (Knit side), That’s why everyone says to block or intermix different stitching to “balance” it out. If you really enjoy the look of st st, and don’t want any other stitches you could knit two scarfs and sew them together, thus knitting is on the outside of both, with the bumpy (purl side) on the inside (Like a peanut butter sandwich. Hope this helps. K

I can’t believe it but I’m currently plagued with this. I’m knitting a scarf with KP Swish. The first three rows were garter stitch and then on the body the first three and last three stitches of each row are garter (with a slip st. knitwise at beg of row)… everything seemed fine but then I got about a foot into the scarf and it started rolling up like crazy (side to side rolling like a tube).

Yelling at it isn’t helping; it refuses to listen. :!!!: I read somewhere recently (here? craftster?) that someone had a similar problem with Swish and once it was washed it relaxed… so I decided not to worry but the curling continues and if possible, seems worse. I’m almost to the point I should knit the three end garter st rows and BO but now I’m thinking I should frog and start over with

1. more garter at edges (it’s a black-red-black stripe scarf so maybe the black is all in garter and red stockinette?) OR maybe
  2. keeping the three garter st on each edge but doing moss st or something else plain instead of stockinette

Any thoughts? I feel like such a noob. :??

I haven’t made anything with Swish, but it could be that 3 stitches in garter isn’t enough to keep it from curling. You could block it and see if it curls. If it still does, take it out and redo it in moss stitch or something not likely to curl.

I suspect this is the case. I just have to decide if I want to “play” with what I’ve done so far (BO, wash & block) or just frog it and change the pattern (wider border or moss etc.). But Moss should work, right? I’ve never actually knit moss before. If I did black stripe with 3+ garter border st and then moss, red stockinette, black moss with 3+ border garter. That sounds like it would resist rolling more, right? Moss behaves better, doesn’t it?
:muah: t’anks

Moss stitch doesn’t curl at all. I don’t think you even need to bother with garter in addition to the moss stitch.

oooohhhh well maybe that’s my answer right there! I’ll still think about it before I frog 40+ in. but I think I like this moss idea…