Fan cable pattern

I have a fan cable pattern…love this pattern btw…anyway…I can get row 1-16 without problems which has the fan on the left and cable on the right…after row 16…the cable is supposed to be on the left and fan on the right…and I mess up everytime…I don’t know if I’m supposed to start back at row 1 after row 16 or what…please help!!! thanks

What pattern are you using for the fan cable? Can you give us a pattern link?

Thanks…hopefully this link works…

The link wasn’t working…I guess because it was a paid youtube video…but I’ve attached a picture of the pattern I’m doing.

Thanks

2 Likes

it looks like about a 16row repeat with the postions of the cables and fans switched. Wherever row 1 starts, yes, try going back to that row to start the second repeat.
it’s certainly a lovely and unusual cable.

Is the video a tutorial for the pattern? Is the written pattern available to you? It looks to me as though there is an offset which would have to be accommodated at the beginning and endings of the rows. I’m thinking that as eyelets can be knitted so that you have columns of eyelets or it can be done so that they are staggered, the cable over the fan (or the fan over the cable) would be done in a similar manner. This probably makes no sense to anybody but me but just in case it might help, I’ll post it anyhow.

anybody else thinking how fun that’d be for the instep of a sock? no, just me? ok… :wink:

It was a tutorial video but also gave the written pattern…

CAST ON 38 STS
TBL- THROUGH BACK LOOP
WHERE IT HAS C4,K3- 4 ON CABLE NEEDLE, K3 THEN KNIT THE 4 ON CABLE NEEDLE

ROW 1- (WRONG SIDE) K3, K5, P7, K8, P7, K3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5 STS, K5

ROW 2- P5, P3,( C4, K3), P8, (C4, K3), P5 REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 3 STS, P3

ROW 3- K3, * K5, P7, K8, P7, K3*, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5 STS, K5

ROW 4- P5, P3, K7, P6, K3TOG, YO, K1, YO, K2TOG, YO, K1, YO, K1, YO,K3TOG TBL, P3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 3 STS, P3

ROW 5- K3, K3, P11, K6, P7, K3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5STS, K5

ROW 6- P5, P3, K7, P5, K2TOG, YO, K2TOG, YO, K2TOG, YO, K1 TBL, YO, K2 TOG TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL,YO, K2TOG TBL, P2, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 3 STS, P3

ROW 7-K3, K2, P13, K5, P7, K3 REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5 STS, K5

ROW8- P5, *P3, K7, P3, K3TOG, YO, K2TOG, YO, K2TOG, YO, K1 TBL, YO, K1, YO, K1 TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, YO, K3TOG TBL, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 3 STS, P3

ROW 9- K3, *P17, K3, P7, K3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5 STS, K5

ROW 10- P5, *P3,(C4, K3),P4, K2TOG, YO, K2TOG, YO, K2TOG,YO, K1 TBL, K1, K1 TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, P1, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 3 STS, P3

ROW 11- K3, *K1, P15, K4, P7, K3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5 STS, K5

ROW 12- P5, *P3, K7, P5, K2TOG, YO, K2TOG, YO, K1 TBL, K3, K1 TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, P2, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 3 STS, P3

ROW 13- K3, *K2, P13, K5, P7, K3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5 STS, K5

ROW 14- P5, *P3, K7, P6, K2TOG, YO, K1 TBL, K5, K1 TBL, YO, K2TOG TBL, P3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 3 STS, P3

ROW 15- K3, *K3, P11, K6, P7, K3, REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 5 STS, K5

ROW 16- P5, *P3, K7, P8, K7, P5, REPEAT FROM LAST 3 STS, P3

SO AFTER I FINISH ROW 16 I GET LOST BECAUSE THE FAN SHOULD BE ON THE RIGHT AND CABLE ON THE LEFT AND I DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO THAT.

Have you tried contacting the designer? I might figure it out if I sit down and work through it but as I’ve not paid for the pattern that probably wouldn’t be kosher. :sad: Maybe somebody else can figure it out just by reading it. If you can chart it, that might help resolve the dilemma, charting is a bit out of my depth still.

The pattern that I have from the tutorial vid also says that it’s a 32 row repeat…but I can’t get beyond row 16 where the fan is on the left and cable on the right…and the next 16 rows should have the cable on the left and fan on the right…

I want to play with this. Is the pattern free, OK to share, or what? If it’s a 32 row repeat then something is done at row 17 that changes the lineup but you already figured that out.

As far as I know the pattern is free…I only paid to watch the video. I didn’t see any copyright on the pattern.

Thanks for all the help!!

When you get to the end of the pattern, row 16, repeat rows 1-3 (that’ll be rows 17-19), The repeat of row 4 (row 20) is where you switch the cable and fan.
Row 20: P5, p3, [U][U]k3tog, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo,k1, yo, k1, yo, k3tog,[/U][/U] p6, [U]k7[/U], p3 repeat to the last 3sts, p3.
That will be the set up row for the placement of the fan and cable.
It’s a lovely pattern stitch.

Thank you so much!! One last question and sorry for being a pain…after I do row 20…row 21-32 is a repeat of row 5-16? I feel really dumb with this pattern!!!

You can’t repeat the following rows [I]exactly[/I] as written. You’ll have to switch the fan and cable (underlined) as I did for row 20. If you look at the stitches on the needle, this may become easier to visualize.
Questions are good. it’s worth asking to get this to work.

Thanks for the help everyone…but I think that this is a pattern that I will have to come back to when I have more knitting experience. I can do all the stitches required…but not good at just looking at the stitches and knowing what one to do next.

I think you would reverse the pattern as in what you did on the right now do on the left and vice versa.

If you could read charts , I have a knitting program of stitches and your pattern is in it. I can send you a chart for the pattern as well as the line by line print out of the rows. Just send me a private message with your snail mail address and I will send you a printed out chart and the printed line by line instructions on how to knit it.

Thanks so much for bumping up this thread. I love the pattern. I didn’t get a chance to look at the directions last year when it was first posted, but I have time, now. I have charted all 32 rows of the pattern, and have just begun knitting a simple scarf.

that’s a beautiful pattern.
its now on my list of must do’s.

thanks a lot.

:smiley: :smiley:

and Xtopher, YES! it would be gorgeous on socks.