fair isle knitting blanket help

Hi, my name is jenny liang. I’ve been tinkering with this fair isle pattern for quite some time now and I still can’t figure it out. Please help!

Lower edge facing: with A, cast on 201 sts. Do not join in rnd. Working in back and forth across needle in rows, beg with a knit row, work in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of 3rd and every following alt row 4 times more, then in every following 4th row 7 times more. 225 sts.
Next row: WS fold line. Knit

Work in chart 1 in stocking st to end of chart, noting 20-st rep will be worked 10 times and side decs on every 5th and every following 4th row 7 times more, then on every following alt row 4 times more. 201 sts.

I’ve uploaded the picture of the chart. I’m confused on the increases and decreases, do I work increases and decreases together in chart 1 and if so, how?

Welcome to KH!
The Lower edge facing is part of the hem that will be turned under at the “Next row: WS fold line. Knit” The increases are only worked in this section.
Once you get to the chart section, the decreases are worked as given. There won’t be increases here.

This project shows the hem and may also have some useful corrections.
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/slueth2011/fair-isle-border-blanket-and-pillow-blanket

Oh thank you so much! That makes so much sense now.

The pattern calls for: side decs on 5th and every following 4th row 7 times more, then on every following alt row 4 times more.
Do I just follow the pattern from chart 1 exactly? But then it looks like there are decreases every row. Im having trouble understanding the pattern and chart. (I tend to choose patterns that I know nothing about)

Thank you
Jenny

The written directions and the chart are the same as far as the decreases are concerned. Each row of the chart corresponds to a row of knitting. Start at the bottom right, work 4 rows, dec on row 5. The next decs are every 4th row and after those are complete, every other row. You can count the rows between decrease rows on paper but they do follow the chart.
It may help to tick off the rows of the chart as you work them and to use a sticky note to mark the current row. Move the sticky up as you progress.
Working new patterns with unknown techniques is a good approach. You’re learning all kinds of new things.

Thank you again, :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m still working on the same pattern so bear with me.

Side edging: with RS facing and MC, pick up and knit 241 sts evenly along side edge of blanket. Change to A and work chart 3 in stocking st to end of chart, noting 20-st rep will be worked 12 times and side Inc’s on 3rd and every following alternate row 4 times more, then on every following 4th row 7 times more. 265 sts.
Next row: knitting

I’m unsure of where I am supposed start picking up stitches since the side edging is supposed to line the entire side as a border. The textured pattern is the actual body of the blanket and is a 34-row repeat as needed till the desired length. The border of the lower edge, I believe is 63 rows, so where am I supposed to start picking up and does this span across the entire blanket? I have to say these instructions are not clear cut. There’s also a side edge facing… I’ve uploaded pics of the instructions and charts that correspond.

Thank you so much for your help!

Good for you for getting this far! Pick up sts for the side edge at the lower edge of chart II. That’s the lower edge of the main body of the blanket (not the bottom or top edging). It’s the blue section in the pattern photo.
The side edging will have increases which will form the mitered corners along with the top and bottom edging. I don’t think the pattern states this but you’ll need to work the side edging twice, at the left and right. Under finishing you’ll seam the 4 borders at the corners.

Thank you so much for getting back to me… Do I pick up the stitches as centered as possible?

I’m not sure what you mean by centered?

If the body (blue part) is more than 48 inches long… do I pick up 241 stitches starting in the corner or in the middle? Or just pick up 241 stitches evenly through the blanket?

Start at the corner. The easiest way to space this out is to place a marker at the halfway point, then 1/4 and 3/4. You can subdivide even further to make it easier to distribute the sts. It may be that in the case of this pattern, 241 sts is determined by the repeats of the pattern so you do want to pick up the given number of sts.

Awesome. I will try that. Thank you so very much

Question: what do people normally do to hide the back of the fair isle runs? This is what mines looks like.

Wow, yours are so neat and consistent.
I’ve lined blankets to hide the floats and ends. Some knit a cover and some use fabric backing. You could line the border or since it’s so neat, you could leave as is.

IMG_1065_small2

Aww. Thank you! I will probably take your advice and leave it. If I do line anything in the future do I just sew the fabric on by hand?

Yes, a whip stitch works well. Be sure to wash the fabric first before cutting to size.
We’d love to see a photo of the finished blanket.