fair isle knitting blanket help

Hi, my name is jenny liang. I’ve been tinkering with this fair isle pattern for quite some time now and I still can’t figure it out. Please help!

Lower edge facing: with A, cast on 201 sts. Do not join in rnd. Working in back and forth across needle in rows, beg with a knit row, work in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of 3rd and every following alt row 4 times more, then in every following 4th row 7 times more. 225 sts.
Next row: WS fold line. Knit

Work in chart 1 in stocking st to end of chart, noting 20-st rep will be worked 10 times and side decs on every 5th and every following 4th row 7 times more, then on every following alt row 4 times more. 201 sts.

I’ve uploaded the picture of the chart. I’m confused on the increases and decreases, do I work increases and decreases together in chart 1 and if so, how?

Welcome to KH!
The Lower edge facing is part of the hem that will be turned under at the “Next row: WS fold line. Knit” The increases are only worked in this section.
Once you get to the chart section, the decreases are worked as given. There won’t be increases here.

This project shows the hem and may also have some useful corrections.
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/slueth2011/fair-isle-border-blanket-and-pillow-blanket

Oh thank you so much! That makes so much sense now.

The pattern calls for: side decs on 5th and every following 4th row 7 times more, then on every following alt row 4 times more.
Do I just follow the pattern from chart 1 exactly? But then it looks like there are decreases every row. Im having trouble understanding the pattern and chart. (I tend to choose patterns that I know nothing about)

Thank you
Jenny

The written directions and the chart are the same as far as the decreases are concerned. Each row of the chart corresponds to a row of knitting. Start at the bottom right, work 4 rows, dec on row 5. The next decs are every 4th row and after those are complete, every other row. You can count the rows between decrease rows on paper but they do follow the chart.
It may help to tick off the rows of the chart as you work them and to use a sticky note to mark the current row. Move the sticky up as you progress.
Working new patterns with unknown techniques is a good approach. You’re learning all kinds of new things.

Thank you again, :slight_smile:

1 Like