Failing 2x2 Rib stitch - Is it supposed to look like this?

Hello! Beginner knitter here. I’ve only been knitting for about a month and have just stumbled upon a pattern that I wanted to try, and it requires 2x2 rib stitch which I have never worked with before. I’ve been trying to knit it for hours and hours but it just never looked quite right. Am I doing something wrong?

It looks and feels like a scallop stitch instead, even though I’ve carefully followed the discipline pattern of K2 P2 and so on. It just doesn’t look right, don’t you think? It looks all thick scrunched up and tangled, and I can’t even tell apart the purls and the knits, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

In the picture, that was about 6-7 rows, and all of it just scrunches up like that. Some help and guidance, please? I’m fairly new to this. :hear_no_evil:

Some more detail. I’m using 4.5mm needles, by the way. I’m sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m really confused and I want to get it right!

Mitha

From the pictures it looks like the yarn is wrapping all around the whole knitting. When switching between knit and purl, make sure you pass the yarn between the two needles and neither all around the whole project nor over any needle!

1 Like

I think you may be wrapping the yarn around the entire work, which is cinching the pattern and forming the scallop effect.

I would suggest you choose a solid color yarn to practice with, so that you can better see what’s happening. 2/2 ribbing is pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. There’s lots of movies on youtube that may be helpful. Just look up ‘2/2 ribbing knitting’.