F. pea's Quickie Cowl question

I’m working on the Quickie Cowl by f. pea but i think i’m doing something wrong. Instead of getting a 3-stitch border I have a 5-stitch border.
here it is:

modified lace rib
Row 1 and all WS rows: *K2, P3. Repeat from * to end. K2.
Row 2 (RS): P2. *K1, YO, K2tog, P2. Repeat from * to end.
Row 4: P2. *K3, P2. Repeat from * to end.
Repeat these four rows.

knit the cowl
The outer edges are made with a 3-stitch border of garter st (K every row), slipping the first stitch of every row with the yarn held in front to create a nice, clean edge.

CO 38.
First row: K3. Begin lace rib patt, knitting until 3 st remain. K to end.
Next row: Slip one wyif, K2. Knit in patt until 3 st remain. K to end.
Next row: Slip one wyif, K2. Knit in patt until 3 st remain. K to end.

Continue knitting in this manner until the cowl measures about 19 inches long, ending on a WS row. BO all st loose.

I feel like I’m interpreting the pattern incorrectly. this is what i did for the first row: (the stuff in parenthesis is part you’re supposed to repeat)

k3, (k2, p3)(k2, p3)(k2, p3)(k2, p3)(k2, p3)(k2, p3)(k2) k3

so you can see i have 5 knits at the end because it says to knit in pattern until 3 stitches remain. and knit to end. this equals 38. can anyone see what i’m doing wrong? Thanks for any help!

Sara

Instead of getting a 3-stitch border I have a 5-stitch border.

You’ll have 5 Ks on Rows 1 and 3 but on Rows 2 and 4 there’s P2 (worked over the K2 of the previous row) giving you stockinette at that point. If you place a marker 3 sts in from each edge you should see a 3-st garter edge and then stockinette just inside of that.

[COLOR=“Navy”]Row 1 and all WS rows: *[COLOR=“Red”]K2[/COLOR], P3. Repeat from * to end. [COLOR=“Red”]K2[/COLOR].
Row 2 (RS): [COLOR=“Red”]P2[/COLOR]. *K1, YO, K2tog, [COLOR=“Red”]P2[/COLOR]. Repeat from * to end.
Row 4: [COLOR=“Red”]P2[/COLOR]. *K3, [COLOR=“Red”]P2[/COLOR]. Repeat from * to end.[/COLOR]

Does that help?

Hey, thanks! I think I see what you mean…the yard I’m using is really colorful so it’s hard to see, but it’s there!