Extremely stupid newbie question

Okay. I cast on my stitches. I knit them all. When I get to my last cast-on stitch, what do I do?

What I’ve been doing is stitching through that last stitch. That leaves me with an empty left needle. Then I turn my work around to purl and bring the empty needle (now the right) into my first, left stitch, and I continue.

This can’t be right, because I keep ending up with one more stitch on each row. It seems to me I’m accidentally doing an increase.

So, to keep from doing that, how do I finish my rows? Do I leave that last cast-on loop on the left needle, then turn my work? That would leave me with an untouched loop on my right needle when I go to purl. Would that keep me from adding that extra stitch on each row?

I’m teaching myself, so, yeah. I’ve looked all over the internet and in a few books, and I haven’t seen anything mentioning how to end a row. I don’t know anyone who can knit, so I can’t really ask anyone to show me.

Can you guys help me? I can do all the actual knitting and purling just fine, it’s just that I don’t end up with an equal amount of stitches, so it’s kind of useless. :\

First of all there are no stupid questions!!

You’re going about it the right way. You knit all the stitches over to the right needle and end up with an empty left. The switch hands. OK.

If you are getting an extra stitch, it could very well be that you are wrapping the yarn around your right needle on the first stitch. Make sure that when you make the first stitch, your yarn does not wrap around the shaft of the needle. If you are knitting a row, make sure the yarn is behind the needles; purling, it should be in front of both needles.

Another possibility is that you’re seeing that first stitch as two since it sometimes wraps itself around and the bottom part of the stitch looks like two separate stitches. Take a good look at that first stitch before you knit it.

Okay, I think that might be where I’m messing up. I stick the right needle through and I’ve been looping the yarn over on that first stitch, just like with the other stitches.

So I should not do that, then? Should I instead pass up that first stitch (move it to my right needle), then move onto the second stitch… Then wrap the working yarn around my right needle and pull through?

I’ll trust you if you say to do that, you’re the experts, not me. :slight_smile: But it doesn’t seem correct to my newbie brain.

I’m not sure if this is what Ingrid meant, but it’s really common to, when you go to purl the first stitch, to treat the one stitch as two. You need to hold the working yarn down towards you in order to purl that stitch correctly. See the notes on these pics…

Hmm, interesting. I think I know what you’re talking about, in which case it was confusing me so much that I didn’t realize that was where the problem was. I’ll have to keep playing with it and see if I can fix that problem by not seeing that as two stitches.

I’m still a bit confused, but I guess that’s normal when you’re learning something new. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help, guys. :heart:

Okay, I think that might be where I’m messing up. I stick the right needle through and I’ve been looping the yarn over on that first stitch, just like with the other stitches.

So I should not do that, then? Should I instead pass up that first stitch (move it to my right needle), then move onto the second stitch… Then wrap the working yarn around my right needle and pull through?

I’ll trust you if you say to do that, you’re the experts, not me. :slight_smile: But it doesn’t seem correct to my newbie brain.[/quote]

Julie hit the nail on the head with her pictures. We should put those somewhere easily accessible!

What I mean with the yarn going around the needle is that you SHOULD wrap the yarn over the tip of the right needle to make your stitch. What you should avoid is having the yarn wrap around the straight part of the needle before you wrap it to make the stitch. One way to make sure this isn’t happening is to check to make sure you only have one stitch on your right needle after the first stitch you knit.

I agree, those pictures REALLY helped. Everytime I start a row now, if I’m a little confused, I look at the pics again. Thank you! I’ve got about 9 rows now (the beginnings of a scarf) and it looks just fine. :smiley: hugs everyone