Extra large stitch!

Hello everyone,

I’m very new to knitting (2 weeks tomorrow) and even newer to this forum. I think I’ve been doing ok…just practicing small squares of different stitches which seem to have gone ok. I’ve just started my first project which is a big scarf with quite chunky wool. I’ve cast on the required 28 stitches and knitting the row, but when I start to purl the next row the first stitch is always huge! It then looks noticably larger on that side. I unravelled it a couple of times last night then gave up! I think I’m holding the yarn tightly enough…I’m using 15mm circular needles and didn’t have any problems when I knitted the tension square. Maybe I’ve just forgotton something?! Your expert help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much! Love, Lucie

This is a common problem. The key is to make the 2nd stitch a bit tighter. There is also a thread (I think in this forum) that talks about this problem as well.

OK, just went and looked, it was about stockinette stitch curling, not big stitches on the edges, but there is some good information on that thread.

How about this–http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=66143

Thanks for your swift and helpful replies! That thread seems to hold the answer. Thank you…I think I’ll spend an evening reading through as many threads as I can…it seems that all potential problems have been answered!