Estimating length of 'tail' when casting on

Hi! My name is Wednesday … and I am brand new to ‘knitting’ … I’ve not taken any classes … YET … but have been reading a lot … but have not been able to find out how to estimate the length of the ‘tail’ end of my yarn when casting on for a project. Any help would very much be appreciated.

I’m assuming you mean for long tail cast on. In that case, I usually do 1 inch for every 2 or 3 stitches, depending on how thick the yarn is. I’d err on the side of overestimating though, so you don’t have to redo your work.

About half the width of the number of sts you need, plus about 6" for a leftover tail. For 80 sts that would be about 46".

I second what Marria and suzeeq said. I don’t use a measuring tape to measure, though. If you hold the yarn in your fingers and stretch your arm out to the side, the length from your fingers to your nose is appx. 1yd or 36".

That’s pretty much how I do it. For more stitches like a sweater in the round, I `measure’ out a couple yards and for sts in between and for smaller COs, I just guestimate.

thanks for the great advice!