Error in my simple lace pattern?

Hello,
I am just starting a beginner simple lace pattern for a chunky cowl but I think I have found a problem with my pattern (recorded below). Everything works swimmingly until I get to Row 3. I don’t understand why they have me k2tog with my last 4 stitches because then I lose a stitch and there is never a point in the pattern where I get it back. When I go to repeat these 4 rows, I find myself with an uneven number of stitches so I can’t follow the pattern anymore. Am I missing something? Any help is much appreciated! I think I’m going crazy, haha. Thank you!

Cast on 40 sts.
Knit 2 rows.
Row 1 (rs): k2, (yo, k2tog) rep to last 2 sts, k2
Row 2 (ws): k2, p to last 2 sts, k2
Row 3: k4, (yo, k2tog) rep to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2
Row 4: as row 2
Rep these 4 rows until the cowl meas 28 in ending on a row 4.
Knit 2 rows.
Cast off.

Pattern from “How to Knit” by Tina Barrett.

Hi and welcome!
I think you’re right, you’ve come across an error. I couldn’t find it listed online although Tina Barrett does have an errata page.
http://www.tinabarrett.biz/page_1270506.html
It seems like this is knit and then the cast on the cast off ends are joined so it doesn’t make sense for the cowl to keep getting narrower. Try working row 3
k4, (yo, k2tog) rep to last 4 sts, yo, k2tog, k2
and see if that works with the pattern. An alternative would be to knit the last 4sts.
Is there a link to a photo of the cowl?

Thank you salmonmac for you help. I considered knitting the last 4 sts as it will probably turn out just fine, but I’ll try your idea of yo then k2tog, k2 for the last 4 sts of row 3. First lace project so this is a good learning experience :slight_smile: I’ve attached a photo from the book.