Environmentally Friendly Products

i feel like this may have been mentioned, but i can’t find it. for the pet people reading, i found that there are several [B]pet waste cleanup[/B] bags that are 100% [B]biodegradeable.[/B] the brand that i found locally is [B]Bags on Board[/B]

of course pet waste is a great way to recycle those plastic grocery bags, too! i just don’t grocery shop enough to keep up. :slight_smile:

ETA: The package says they are 100% biodegradable except for by California regulations. I know they have very stringent environmental laws in place, but am not sure what makes these not okay.

I don’t see any info about CA, but whatever. That’s just silly. If they are biodegradable, they are biodegradable! Thanks for the info!

Hi Everyone! Just thought I’d share how I try to do my part (though there’s MUCH more I need to be doing!) to help our Earth Mother. :aww:

First of all, we use only [B]recycled toilet paper and paper towels[/B]. We buy them from our local Publix grocery store. Eventually, I would like to stop using paper towels altogether, but my husband likes to have them on hand.

We use [B]Ecover Dish Soap[/B] to wash our dishes, which we buy at our local health food store (support small businesses!!). We also use [B]Ecover Bleach[/B] instead of regular chlorine bleach. Ecover Bleach is just expensive peroxide, but shhh…don’t tell my husband. :teehee:

To wash our laundry, we use [B]Seventh Generation Laundry Soap[/B], but honestly, this is (also) just to satisfy my husband! All you really need is some [B]baking soda and vinegar[/B]! When I wash clothes, this is all I use, but the hubby thinks clothes need soap to get truly clean. A friend is sending me some [B]soapnuts[/B] to try in the washing machine, and I’ve heard good things about them!

Speaking of laundry, we do not own a clothes dryer! We [B]hang all our clothes on a clothes line[/B]. “But Missy,” you say, “you’re in Florida! You can hang your clothes all year round! We can’t do that up North!” Ah ha, but you can. When I lived in Ireland with my husband and his mom, they did not own a clothes dryer either. They [B]hung their clothes on heaters or on a Clothes Horse [/B](you can get clothes horses at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Target, or really crappy ones at Wal-Mart).

To do our grocery shopping, I use the [B]cloth Greenbags[/B] that my local Publix sells, and they are BIG and absolutely wonderful. However…I forget them all the time! This works in my husband’s favor, though, because he is obsessive compulsive, and won’t put food in the regular trash bag. He doesn’t want it to get smelly…so he uses the grocery store plastic bags to put food in, ties them up, and THEN puts them in the regular kitchen trash. I don’t like doing this, though, and when we move, I’m hoping to compost almost all leftover food and never use plastic bags from the grocery store again. :mrgreen:

Speaking of food…we try to buy mostly [B]organic dairy and produce, free-range eggs, and natural meat grown without hormones and antibiotics[/B] (for my husband–I am a vegetarian). This not only helps our health, but helps our Earth Mother, as well.

I do not use shampoo! I use what I like to call [B]Hair Soap bars[/B] from Chagrin Valley Soap, and I “condition” my hair with 1 tblsp. [B]apple cider vinegar[/B] in 1 cup of water. Detergent is very harmful to hair (and to the environment!), and I cannot tell you all how much better my hair looks since switching to soap. I used to have frizzy hair and lots of split ends…my hair would be greasy a couple hours after I washed it!! Now, I haven’t seen a split end in over a year, my hair is soft and shiny, and I can go two days without washing it before it gets greasy!

For the kitties, we use a [B]biodegradable, scoopable, flushable cat litter called Swheat Scoop[/B]. It is awesome stuff made completely out of wheat, very low on dust, doesn’t have that awful clay cat litter smell, and is very environmentally friendly! We buy it either at Publix, or Target, but I’m pretty sure you can also buy it online. We used to use [B]Feline Pine[/B] (natural pine litter), and really liked it, but one of our cats wouldn’t use it, so we had to switch to the wheat litter.

Someone mentioned [B]Diatomaceous Earth[/B], and I have to agree! We use it for fire ants outside, and also sprinkle it around the outside of our house to deter fleas and other bugs. It’s good stuff, but it’s getting harder and harder for us to find in the stores. :pout:

Oh, we do not use any spray air fresheners in the house. I [B]burn essential oils in an Oil Burner[/B], or put a few drops of my favorite essential oil in a bottle of distilled water, shake it up good, and spray it around the house. When we want to burn candles, we use only beeswax with 100% cotton wicks (no lead!). I buy all my essential oils and supplies from Mountain Rose Herbs.

And finally, I use [B]Cloth Menstrual Pads[/B] and my [B]Diva Cup[/B] for my monthly bleeding. Cloth pads are wonderfully comfortable, easy to wash (I just soak mine in the bathroom sink and then throw them in the washer with the rest of the dirty clothes!), and last for a really long time. I make my own (lots of free patterns online!), and buy from Mimi’s Dreams. No yucky disposables taking up space in landfills! The Diva Cup is wonderful for those who don’t want to be bothered washing pads, and who prefer internal protection. It’s comfortable and convenient, though I prefer external protection most of the time. Another option is Sea Pearls (or click here for a UK site), which are [B]natural sea sponges[/B]. They offer another type of internal protection, but I have never tried them.

When I look over this list, it looks like we do a lot…but honestly, we are so wasteful in other areas of our lives. :pout: We use lots of plastic zip lock baggies for storing food in the freezer, and regular plastic trash bags. We own two cars, as my husband and I work in different directions, and we use them a lot. They are little cars…used, and good on gas, but they are still polluting the environment. We spend WAY too much money on things we don’t really need (namely, going out to dinner or sweets from the grocery store), and both my husband and I are in a REALLY bad habit of running the water while washing dishes! I also spend too much time on the computer while I could really be knitting or reading a book by candlelight!

My goal is to one day be completely self-sufficient…growing our own food and producing our own power (solar and windmills). I really wish I could completely get rid of both cars, but hubby won’t have that. Maybe one day we can go electric. :mrgreen:

Question about Swheat cat litter: Does it clump? I see that you said it is scoopable, but does it clump? I hate regular clay litter because you can never get the wet litter all out and it eventually stinks. With clumping litter it is easy to just scoop and go.

I don’t know this about that litter but she does say it is flushable and from my understanding you can’t, or really really shouldn’t, flush clumping cat litter as it will do a real mess to your pipes. :shrug:

Love that list of stuff though. I am excited to check that stuff out when I get home tonight. A lot of sites are blocked here at work so many of them don’t come up. Will defniitely have to check it out when I get home! :happydance:

Oooh and I have a link for what I thought was a good deal for some 7th Generation products. It is $18 and you get a full size dish soap, Fabric Softner, Laundry Detergent, Garbage Bags, and Paper Towels. Got mine in the mail the other day and I was just giddy with delight. Comes with the tote bag in the picture too. :slight_smile:

[B]http://tinyurl.com/yurbox[/B]

The clumping aspect of the litter is kind of hard to explain. It clumps, and it doesn’t. If the kitty goes pee, and you try to scoop it right away, it is still wet, and will fall apart all over the place. So…what we do is let it dry for about 15 minutes, and THEN scoop it. By that time, it has formed a pee-pee pancake that is easy to scoop, falls apart once it hits the toilet water, and flushes down quite easily. :mrgreen:

The Feline Pine is different. It does not clump at all, but is flushable. However, the purpose of Feline Pine is not to scoop the pee. Liquid turns the pellets into powder, and the powder does not smell (I guess from the pine?). Once all the litter has been turned into powder, it’s time to trash it, and fill up the pan again. I really liked the pine litter, but our cat George didn’t like it because the pellets were too big. He’s very spoiled. :nails:

We too use [B]Method, Seventh Generation, and Simple green[/B] art first, it was hard because you’d have to go to specialty shops to buy earth friendly cleaners, and they were very expensive. But now one can find them in all major grocery stores. This is encouraging.

PEI is nick-named Canada’s Green province, and that is not just from all the gorgeous rolling green fields. We are an island and must be conscious of where our garbage is going. We have the best garbage program I have ever seen in Canada. Compost, Recycling and garbage is all picked up at curbside. We sort and have it all ready on the day required. It is amazing how little actual garbage we have. Our bin takes over a month to fill.

I always struggled with what kind of diapers to choose. I ended up using disposable. :sad: But now both are potty trained so we are diaper free.

I’m gonna have to second the use of the Diva Cup, and reusable menstrual pads mentioned by feminine_earth. I absolutely love my diva cup, I’ve had it for well over a year now (maybe even close to two?) and it’s awesome, you only need to pack one or two things if you go on vacation and you’re expecting your period.
Other than that, unfortunately, I do not do a lot for helping the earth… I use all my plastic bags for my garbage, I do recycle my paper, cardboard and empty bottles and cans… I haven’t quite gotten myself into the biodegradable soaps and stuff (I’m still a student, so I have to watch my money a bit, and usually it appears that anything good for the earth costs more money)

Here’s a nifty idea for the craftsters among us

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=37b1b744dd165110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=recycled%20t%20shirt&rsc=header_1

I use good ol’ [B]Dr. Bronner’s [/B] http://www.drbronner.com/index.html religiously. I take it backpacking, use it for delicate laundry, wash my face with it, wash dishes with it etc. You can get Dr. Bronners at Whole Foods or any of their stores and Trader Joes. I also use [B]Seventh Generation[/B] for regular laundry and dishwasher detergent. I use cloth bags for shopping for the most part and try to buy produce at Farmers Markets as often as possible. I still use plastic bags for trash but I recycle more and more of my refuse. I live in an apartment and I have no place to compost and no garden :^( Hopefully, I’ll be moving on up within the next few years and I’ll be able to do those things :^)

Oh - I also use [B]Feline Pine[/B] for my kitties!!! I use [B]Natures Gate[/B] shampoo and conditioner. I haven’t gone to cloth napkins yet, but I’m gearing up for it. My DS has been wanting me to. He also put up a clothes line so we are going to start hanging out our clothes to dry.

CONSUMER REPORTS COMMENTS:

“Biodegradable” detergents. Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel is said to break down in the environment. But the claim broke down when we found that the product contains a petroleum-derived agent that doesn’t readily biodegrade. A spokeswoman said the company would remove the claim and review its product line and labeling. Biodegradability of two other detergents–Earth Friendly Product’s Wave automatic dishwasher gel and Planet Ultra Dishwashing Liquid–was certified by reputable independent groups.

Just as an FYI- www.greenfeet.com has a special going on right now for a free earthday chico bag with a $40 purchase. I love the chico bags and been holding off buying new ones for a while. This was a good enough excuse to buy some though. 10 bags is exactly $40 so that worked for me…lol.

You have to put the word ELECT in the comments section when placing an order. I don’t know how long it is good for, I didn’t see that anywhere in the newsletter, but I just got the e-mail yesterday.

Hi everyone,

I was sent this email and would like to pass it onto you all.

[SIZE=1][I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]This is what Oxi clean is… 3% peroxide; did you Know that???[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]This was written by Becky Ransey of Indiana

“I would like to tell you of the benefits of that plain little old bottle of 3% peroxide you can get for under $1.00 at an y drug store. My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and most doctors don’t tell you about peroxide, or they would lose thousands of dollars.”

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black] it out (I do it when I bathe)

No more canker sores and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash (Small print[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black] says ‘mouth wash and gargle’ right on the bottle)

1. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of “Peroxide” to keep[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black] them free of germs.

2. Clean your counters, table tops with peroxide to kill germs[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black] and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

3. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black] on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

4. I had fungus on my feet for years - until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=black] that would not heal with any medicine, but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

1. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.

2. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, or plugged sinuses. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold d for a few minutes then blow your nose into a tissue.

3. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black] hold it for ten minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly .

4. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde It also lightens gradually so it’s not a drastic change.

5. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

6. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

7. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors, and there is no smearing which is why I love it so much for this.

I could go on and on. It is a little brown bottle no home should
[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=black][SIZE=2] be without! With prices of most necessities rising, I’m glad there’s a way to save tons of money in such a simple, healthy manner.
[/SIZE]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/SIZE]

Please note that Snopes lists this letter as “mixed” in that there are some true and some false comments in this letter. H2O2 should never be swallowed and in high concentrations can cause more harm than cures.

I can’t remember from reading through here and dont’ feel like going back through all the messages :teehee: Is anyone else using their own cloth reusable menstrual pads? I’ve been thinking of making some wool “soakers” for my daughters who have much heavier flows being young with larger uteri (I had a large part of my uterus removed during my third and final c/s - long story) Anyway, I was thinking about making some felted soaker pads to go inside some of the pads. Anyone done this? There is a group at Ravelry devoted to cloth pads, but most of what I’m hearing on the knitting forefront is making the whole pad from wool. Uhm, maybe I’m more “sensitive” than others, but does anyone else go “ouch” when they read that?

I’m going to check out the seventh generation site, the products sound great!
I make a cleaner from equal parts white vinegar and water with a bit of lemon juice that works well and I use baking soda as a cleaner too.:mrgreen:

Hey!
great idea! peroxide for cleaning. I’ve used alcohol but it looks like peroxide has many more uses.

Knitncook - I don’t remember either, but you can use the “search this thread” to find info about it if it’s here.

Here is an interesting perspective on [B]reusable grocery bags[/B]: Be careful on the Reusable Bags Bandwagon

I will confess that we bought 10 bags from the grocery store – 5 for each car – and I have a fold up one from Target that I keep in my purse.

What I love about the grocery store bags is that they have a flat, sturdy bottom and seem to be the same dimensions as paper bags – they are strong, have handles and can carry more than those silly plastic bags, so that we also don’t need as many of them.

(The Target bag is different – its dimensions are more like the plastic Target bags – but it folds up and zips into it’s own pouch so it is very easy to keep with me.)

Here’s a link (from that blog) for a site that has [B]patterns for knitting/crocheting or otherwise making shopping bags[/B]: http://makeabag.blogspot.com/