Environmentally Friendly Products

If anyone lives near an Ikea, they have boxes for the return of the light bulbs, also batteries. I am in Canada but I assume that Ikea in USA would do the same.

On a side note, years ago we used to play with mercury in school in science class and it was great fun if a thermometer broke.

That is good to know. I’m over an hour from an IKEA, but it’s still good info.

I played with it when I was a kid, too. My mom has a little vial of it in her jewelry box that her father had given her. I think it had been some kind of machine lubricant? It’s very cool stuff. Too bad it’s so toxic… lol.

Just wanted to let anyone who cares know that my daughters and I all absolutely love our Envirosax reusable bags! They are beautiful and they hold a lot of stuff. They also fold up really small so it’s easy to toss one in your purse or coat pocket. I keep the whole set in my car for easy access, too. I highly recommend them! :thumbsup:

Oh, I got us the Mikado set. :yay:

Think it’s tacky to get these for my boss for Mother’s Day? The county where we live has passed a no plastic bag law to go into affect I think in 2010 & I thought this might help her get ready.

Not at all! These would make a beautiful gift! I know you can get a lot of bags in stores now cheaper, but for gifts these are great. :thumbsup:

I wish our county would outlaw plastic!

:grphug:

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”][COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]This topic is going to make me go broke! Aside from knitting my passion is being environmentally friendly, and it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to do so… unless you’re like me and you can’t get enough cool things people show you. :whistle:

I use all [B][COLOR=“Black”]Method[/COLOR][/B] products. Love their cleaning products for wood, stainless, all purpose. They have free and clear cleaners for those of us who are allergic to everything. Their floor cleaner set up is wonderful. Hand soaps are wonderful. I could honestly go on and on about their products. [/COLOR][/FONT]

Kat

I absolutely love my [B]Acme bags[/B] from reusablebags.com!!
We use tons of concetrated household products from [B]Melaleuca[/B], all are non-caustic and made from nothing harmful.

Your link went to your business site for some reason. I changed it so it went to the Melaleuca product site.

When my daughter was 2 years old she got these nasty red, dry, splotches behind her knees and on her legs. The doctors were all to informative about it and weren’t really helpful with it either.

I found [B]Melaleuca[/B] just by browsing around on my own.

I can tell you what a miracle company they are. Not only did the lotion [B]ReNew[/B] work miracles on her skin. I also read that changing the way the house was being cleaned: eliminating aerosols, and caustic and toxic chemicals- along with what the clothing was being washed in made a [U]HUGE[/U] difference in her skin condition.

So I would say HANDS DOWN that Melaleuca is quiet possibly THE BEST around when it comes to environmentally friendly. Not only are the products free of all that harmful stuff they clean brillantly! And to top it all off, they come in concentrated form and you use water from your own house to dilute them. (Didn’t know you were paying for water when you bought them from the store did ya? Ya, even Seventh Generation has you paying for water. Man, that’s some expensive water!!!)

Go check them out, and see for yourself. You only live once. Why would you be skeptical of something that is so natural… and economically sound? These days we need both!

I’m not a salesperson for them, but I am not shy about what they have done to help control my daughter’s skin condition and to help keep my family healthy and well.

We all LOVE Melaleuca!!!

:muah: :woohoo: :yay:

i love using my ecotools make up brushes. theyre super soft and affordable. (about $12 for a set of 5) i use them pretty much everyday :slight_smile:

I have them, too, but don’t use make-up much. I do love them, though!

I love anything by [B]Mrs Meyers[B]!![/B][/B]

My favorites are the countertop spray and the surface scrub, both in lavender.

I have to admit, I started using these for purely selfish reasons. I am super sensitive to chemicals, the smell gives me an instant headache and I break out something horrid!

These work very well, smell awesome, and are nice on your skin!

I fell in love with Ms. Meyers too!!! One of the things I really love is that all of the products are available in each scent line so you can have “matching” scents throughout your home, I really dig that a lot. Rockin the Lemon Verbena at the moment. :slight_smile:

Another cool thing is their products seem to be becoming available in “mainstream” stores, like the nicer grocery store chain in my area, so I don’t have to make special trips anywhere.

Cleaning:

I like using swiffer products but we are moving to Switzerland and I wasn’t sure about the availability of the covers so after an internet search I found out that there are lots of knitting patterns on Ravelry for swiffer mop and duster covers. I also found sewing patterns for the same!

I found on a video on youtube of how to refill those bottles for the swiffer, too.

On the compact light bulbs, yes they work great. They use a fraction of the energy the old light bulbs did. I didn’t notice any difference in the amount of light. I have a lamp we use every night. I was replacing bulbs every two months. The compact bulb lasted two years. The second one in my lamp is about two years old now and still going strong.

Spraying undiluted white vinegar around doorways and in front of attached garages keeps ants out of the house. I spray once a week and more often when it rains. My son used this successfully at his restaurant, since they can’t use chemical sprays around the food. It’s great around children and pets.

Lamers Dairy (Dairyland’s Best) in our local area offers milk in half gallon glass milk containers like the kind we used to get in the 1950’s and 60’s. You pay a deposit and bring them back when you’re finished.

My sons leave the cars home and drive a motorcycle and moped. They get around 100-150 miles per gallon of gas.

One of my favorites is Mr Clean Magic Erasers. They don’t have any chemicals in them. You use your own cleaners. They’re great for getting soap scum out of bathroom sinks and a great alternative to harsh powders like Comet that leave a residue behind.

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

Slow growing grass that needs little mowing.

Kit to teach your cat to use the toilet and stop using litter.

I hate “super glue” since I always glue my fingers together, and I am sure it is terribly toxic for the environment.

Anybody have any ideas for good [B]glue[/B] for yarn projects that require something stuck onto plastic? I am making index file boxes decorated with crochet flowers and wrapped in yarn - sort of like those “yarn mobbing” things. :eyes:

Unfortunately [B]compact light bulbs[/B] have been linked to problems for people who have autoimmune diseases or other issues.
http://www2.canada.com/health/doctor+compact+fluorescent+bulbs+pose+risks+autoimmune+disease+sufferers/4299565/story.html?id=4299565

https://www.etoplus.com/Product-Toplus-Pest-Repeller
I use the [B]Toplus Pest Repeller[B]. It’s a really a bad idea to expel insects with the insectifuge which will cause pollution and do harm to kids and pets. This product uses ultrasonic technology repels insects which is noiseless, non-toxic and chemical-free. And the effect is so much better than I expected. And it’s also solar powered. (We all know how much pollution will cause with the batteries. ) It’s quite the most environmentally friendly products I used.