Entrelac: gauge vs. dimension

i am going to be doing a sampler baby blanket with a friend, and some of the squares will be done in entrelac. i’m designing it, and for all of the stitches we’ve chosen, i know how to figure out the cast on requirements for each square with no problem. not so with entrelac.

if i want a 12x12 inch square, using DK weight, 4.5st/in with size 6’s, how many stitches do i want to cast on to make it the right size? and do i want to aim for 11 or 11.5 inches, since i imagine it will grow a little when blocked or steamed? if i were to aim for 12", i would normally cast on 54 stitches. but that’s not divisible by 8, which is what my entrelac how-to calls for. do i go down to 48 stitches? that would bring me to 10 2/3", which seems quite a bit smaller. but how much does it grow when the second row is worked? all of the entrelac pics i’ve seen show a slightly misshapen piece of work.

and does entrelac always have to be twice as many rows as stitches? i’m concerned about not having a full pattern repeat once i get to the top of the square.

thanks for your help!

gauge for entrelac can be measured and calculated with a regular stockinette stitch (accorfing to the latest issue of IK).

There is already a thread started on entrelac… you might want to check that out.

Do you have to use an 8 stitch repeat? If you think you need 54 sts, try 9 or 6 instead. Do a sample block and see how it measures out.

sue

hilde, thanks, i did read through that thread earlier.

suze, i didn’t think to try a different number of stitches for each part. i’d imagine it should be an even number of stitches, i’ll see about playing around with it. thanks.

It doesnt have to be an even # of stitches, but you will work 2 rows for every stitch.