English style lefty- joining problems

Okay, so I have been trying and trying to figure out what my problem was with making a log cabin blanket. Obviously it isn’t the knitting itself, but my joins for each patch were just looking funny. Basically, they ended up having a deep ridge between the two joined patches, of what looked like a row of stockinette.

I tried to purl, and that just reversed the problem to the back side instead of the front…

That’s when I realized, I was picking up stitches not using the RH needle, but the left- so in effect, I am going backwards and that is what creates the weird gap.

However, my right hand is just not able to pick up stitches, and there really is no other option. I had to use a small crochet hook, but it is a much longer process and it seems like this simple thing will wreck the whole knitting experience for me. I just don’t know how else I can do it…

Is there anyone out there who can help me figure this out?

BO so the last stitch is at the right edge and go down that side instead of the left side?

sue

Hmm… might work… I will go try it right now. (lol and why didn’t that occur to me?)

You were following the directions too literally? :smiley:

When something isn’t working out right, try something else. :wink:

sue

Well, that didn’t work either- I had tried it (without realizing it) before and it does the same thing.

Since I am still a relatively new knitter, I just don’t recognize the direction of stitches and how it all works yet, so I can’t even really think of another option…

I can’t quite figure out just how the stitches are going on the needle that make it so different as to appear like it does- and so I can’t figure out how to fix it.

I probably could just use a crochet hook, but I only have two- one is way too big, and the other an extremely tiny one that just catches, so I guess I am stuck for now…

I posted a reply in your other thread, but I’ll repeat it here: I think you should be able to keep the right side (bind-off side) toward you, cut the yarn, and start picking up stitches from the left-hand side of whatever edge your next block is on. In some patterns you would have had to cut the yarn and pick up on an edge that’s not right around the corner, so it shouldn’t be a problem. You just might have to count your rows carefully, or make your blocks one row shorter or longer than the pattern says, since you’ll be binding off the opposite direction from your picking up. You’ll also want to make sure that you’re getting smooth color changes when you’re picking up stitches the “lefty” way- otherwise, we’ll have to come up with another approach.