Ending the top of my mitten

how can I make more of a rounded top of my mittens? I followed the pattern from snb book and it seems to give me more of a knobbly tip.

They turn out rounded if you use a traditional hat-like decrease – i.e. K4, K2tog then knit a row, then K3 K2tog then knit a row, etc. until there are a hnadful of stitches on the needles that you can pull the yarn through to finish it off. :smiley:

I have found that you have to be careful, too, that you don’t decrease TOO far. I did mittens recently that I had to back down a few rows because I decreased down to about four stitches and they were pointy at the top. I kitchnered them closed at about 10 stitches or so, and they were definitely rounder.

I’m a little confused by your description, i’m still a novice, would it be possiable to break it down row by row to get a visual idea?

what is kitchnered?

She means don’t decrease down to the last 4 or 5 stitches. Stop at the row before and you can either thread your loose end through the stitches, and pull tight, like closing a drawstring; or else do a kitcher stitch. Kitchener is on a video at the bottom of this page under Seaming - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

sue