End of Raglan decrease help please!

Hello there,

I’m knitting a raglan sweater in the round, bottom up. I’ve been knitting flat to work my neckline, finished the neckline, and have been working to finishing my raglan decreases. I’m not sure what to do with the last stitch in the front of my sweater (before the sleeve). I’ve ssk until I have one stitch remaining, so can’t ssk anymore. If I just sk (not sure if that’s even a thing) then I still have one stitch, thus not fixing the problem. I guess I’m wondering, do I just leave the one stitch there? Or is there a way to get rid of it? Also, I have two stitches remaining on the right front, at the same time as having the one stitch remaining on the left front. Not sure why this is or how to resolve without making things not look symmetrical.

I appreciate anyone who may have some advice!

Also, I’d posted some questions in the past on a different thread, and was lucky enough to have Salmonmac help out. Thought I should post a new thread for this since I’m not sure that my old thread will get seen.

Thank you in advance!!

What does the pattern say to do? You may just have to knit that last stitch.

Many people just click the new posts link (above the ad) so any new comments or questions pop up there. If the question is new and unrelated to your other thread it’s okay to start a new one though.

Hi there, thank you for your reply… I’m still not quite sure how to properly reply/ask more questions I guess… I tried to click “new post” like you suggested but it just brought me to the forum. Then I tried clicking reply, under your response, and it said “quick response”. What I did the last time I posted was click “reply to thread” and was able to get a response. However, there seems to be other options, so not sure which is the best way…?

Unfortunately it doesn’t say in the pattern… I’m following video/blog posts from Knit Picks site called “How to Knit a Sweater”, with Nina. Sometimes it is a bit vague for new knitters like me. She does go through all the calculations, and according to my calculations, I should still have a couple more raglan decrease rounds. Maybe I miss calculated my neckline shaping and have thus run out of front stitches too soon? If this is the case, can I just keep decreasing after the front (so knit the stitch like you said, but then k2tog after the marker) to finish up my decreases, or will that look weird? Also, I know I still need to ssk on the right front once more because the right front still has 2 remaining stitches (only the left front has one left for some reason). I’m wondering if I could even pull out a couple rows and “make 1” on the left front to even it up. Would that be an option? I obviously want it to look as neat and symmetrical as possible.

Please let me know if this makes sense, or if I can clarify anything to make it become more clear!

Thank you so much for your help!!

Take a look at your worksheet and check the math for the neckline and also look at the decrease lines on the front and make sure that you didn’t miss a decrease somewhere. You could always rip back and put in the missing decrease. It’s possible too that you bound off one less st on the neckline than you wanted and have an extra st on the right front due to that. You can also slip the sts onto a piece of scrap yarn and try the sweater on to see that the depth of the yoke is what you would like. If it’s too shallow, go ahead and knit more rounds.
If everything is OK and since the next thing to do probably bind off sts for the neck, I would just go ahead and bind off. That’ll take care of the one st remaining on the left front and the extra st at the right front will become part of the neck and be covered by the collar.

Hi there, thank you for your reply… I’m still not quite sure how to properly reply/ask more questions I guess… I tried to click “new post” like you suggested but it just brought me to the forum. Then I tried clicking reply, under your response, and it said “quick response”. What I did the last time I posted was click “reply to thread” and was able to get a response. However, there seems to be other options, so not sure which is the best way…?

You should be in the forum first, then click the orange “Start a New Thread” button that’s at the top of the list of threads, below the ad. That opens a page that’s headed by Post New Thread, and has an empty message box. There’s a Submit New Thread button below that which will post your message. There shouldn’t be a Reply button anywhere; they’re only on individual posts or threads, not on the Forum page.