Encircle Shrug

Hi! I am using Patons Lace 500879, Encircle Shrug. I casted on 46 stitches, ribbed (k2 p2) for 6 inches. The next step is the question:
1st row (rs). K2. *M1. K2 Rep from * to end of row 68 sts. I used markers on every 3rd stitch to indicate where I would make 1. When I do the count I havae 61 stitches not 68. Each marker would count as 2. If you could, would you please tell me what steps I am missing to get to 68.
Thank you!

How are you doing the M1? It should say in the pattern, but if you’re doing kfb that won’t give you the right number of sts. A m1 is a backward loop with the yarn around the needle, or lift the yarn between the sts and knit it through the back loop. Look on the Increases page for videos on these.

Whichever way you decide to increase, you need to increase 22 times. That will give you 68 sts. Is it possilble that you missed increasing in some of the sets of 2sts that you marked off? Before you take the sts out, go back and look at your sts between the markers. Not counting the initial k2, there should now be 22 sets of 3sts between the markers

Thanks for this answer. I do not know what kfb is but as a practice I did an incr stitch: knit in the front, do not remove twist right needle to the back of same stitch and knit. I will try what you are saying “M1”. However, whatever I do it must give me 2 stitches in one, right? The point is there are only 15 stitches to use as increase stitch and as another person indicated I need 22. I do not know how to make this adjustment.

Hi Salmonmac: Thank you for the help. I appreciate the math help. However, per the instructions I am to M1 on every 3rd stitch. That makes 15 not 22. How do I add 7 more?

Yes, what you were doing is a kfb - knit into the front leg and the back leg of the same stitch. When you do that it uses one of your original stitches, but a m1 [B]does not use one of them[/B][I];[/I] it adds a stitch between 2 others, that’s where you get the other 7 sts you need.

Okay I will study and use the m1, thank you!

Okay! Please pardon my ignorance, I did the M1L and for 3 stitches I end up with 4 that is a total of 61. I am still missing 7 would you point out my error please.

You said you put the markers in every 3rd st which would still be like the kfb, so don’t use them at all. Just inc every 2 sts - K2 then repeat M1, K2, m1, k2 to the end of the row. If you still feel you need markers, put them on the needle instead of the st, every 2nd stitch, not every 3rd. For every 2 sts you’ll get 3, that’s how this increase will work.

Thank you so much for you patience. It worked. I have my 68 stitches :cheering: Onward!

Yippee!! :happydance:

Hello everyone! I am still working The Encircle Shrug. I am starting the Shape Front. The instructions are as follows. 1st row: (RS).
K177. Turn. Leave rem st unworked. 2nd and alt rows: Sl1P. Purl to end of row. 3rd row: K176. Turn. Leave rem st unworked.
I have many questions but the first one is: I understand I am suppose to leave the 178th st unworked, do I leave it on the left hand needle? The second question is the 2nd row says SL1P purld tothe end. Is this the unworked stitch or the first purl stitch as I head the other way. Do I leave the unworked stitch on the needle or remove to a holder?
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, leave the last st on the needle and when you turn your work it will be on the R needle then. Leave it alone and slip the first st on the left needle and purl to the end of the row. Turn and knit as before, until there’s 2 sts on the left needle (the one leftover from the previous row, plus one more). Turn again and purl back across those leaving the 2 sts on the needle. Don’t put them on holders, you’re going to add one more stitch to the unworked ones on every knit row; this is called doing ‘short rows’ for shaping. Eventually you’ll get back to them.

Encircle Shrug

Hello everyone! I am still working The Encircle Shrug. I am starting the Shape Front. The instructions are as follows. 1st row: (RS).
K177. Turn. Leave rem st unworked. 2nd and alt rows: Sl1P. Purl to end of row. 3rd row: K176. Turn. Leave rem st unworked.
I have many questions but the first one is: I understand I am suppose to leave the 178th st unworked, do I leave it on the left hand needle? The second question is the 2nd row says SL1P purld tothe end. Is this the unworked stitch or the first purl stitch as I head the other way. Do I leave the unworked stitch on the needle or remove to a holder?
Thank you for your reply!

I replied to your previous post about how to follow those instructions in #13 above.

Thank you for this information, however I am doing row 5 now and it says K175 (row 3 was 176). If I knit 175 stitches there are 2 left on the needle 1 is the remaining stitch and the other one is the one I SL. What should I do?

On the knit rows you’ve knit 177sts, turned and later knit 176sts and turned so on row 5 knit 175sts and turn. Keep leaving the unworked sts. Later in the pattern you’ll come back to work them. Meanwhile, let them sit unworked for a few rows.
You could read ahead in the pattern and see how long this pattern of working one fewer st on each knit row continues. The directions for the unworked sts will follow.

That’s exactly what I said here - “Turn and knit as before, until there’s 2 sts on the left needle (the one leftover from the previous row, plus one more).” That’s where you knit 175, so there’s 2 sts on the needle that you just leave. Then same as before, turn and they’ll be on the right needle, slip the first stitch on the L needle and purl back across the rest of the stitches. You keep knitting the RS rows with one less stitch for a few row (yes, read further in the pattern) and you will build up one more unworked stitch each time.

Thank you for the confirmation! I do not want to work to many rows if it is wrong :). Have a happy 4th!