Ekk. Newbie needs help understanding a pattern

Hi Folks,
So, I finished my first scarf. yahoo. now, i’m going to attempt to actually read a pattern to create something. I chose Calorimetry from knitty, which i understand isn’t that hard. Perhaps, my brain is just fried (i have a 4 mo) or I’m overthinking…Anyhoo, hoping someone here can help me out…

Here’s the pattern: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html

First, it says
[COLOR=Magenta][I]2x2 Rib (Worked back and forth over a multiple of 4 sts):
[I]Row 1: [/I][K2, p2] to end.
Repeat this row for 2x2 Rib[/I][/COLOR] .

So, I’m assuming you just knit 2, purl 2. But then it says repeat this row. So, does that mean you count the first 2 rows as 1? But, then the directions say

[I][COLOR=Magenta][I]Row 2[/I]: Work in 2x2 Rib as set to last 2 sts, turn work.

[/COLOR][/I][COLOR=Magenta][COLOR=Black]Is Row 2, really row 3 because of my question above? Also, for this pattern i’m assuming all rows, are k2, p2? or am i missing something.

Gak. Hopefully I’m making some sense.

Oh, another general question-for my scarf i would slip the first stitch like, the videos on this site said. yet, i’m thinking i can’t do that when reading a pattern…right. because slipping the first stitch will screw up the directions.

Thanks in advance for your help. i’ve been lurking in these parts…waiting for a reason to chime in. :slight_smile:
[/COLOR][/COLOR][I][/I]

It doesn’t matter which row you call it, you’ll be doing k2, p2 on all rows.

When it says to repeat Row 1 for the ribbing, it’s really just telling you that the rib pattern is k2, p2. It’s the pattern stitch. If it were a more complicated pattern, it would give you all the rows of the pattern stitch, and then move on to the specific instructions for whatever you were making.

Your actual knitting pattern will start when you cast on, then follow the directions from there.

For this pattern, it will help enormously if you recognize your stitches since each row isn’t the same. When working across, knit the V’s and purl the bumps as they face you and you’ll be able to stay in the ribbing without having to worry where in the row you’re starting.

thanks. so, i’m slow on the uptake…so each row-i knit 2 stitches and then purl 2. right? or am i’m totally missing something.

:slight_smile:

Yes, every row is k2, p2. But since you don’t knit every stitch in every row in order to get the shape right, your best and easiest bet is to just look at your knitting and knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you. Then you can spend your concentration on what to do at the ends with the markers and such.

ok, i think i know what you mean…although… i need to think about it. ha. thanks, for helping me out. and apologizes if i’m being dumb. :slight_smile:

Rachel,

That place in the pattern that you are quoting is just getting across to you that this article is made of a basic K2, P2 ribbing. Once you get the first row set up you will always be knitting over the knit stitches as you come to them, and purling the purl stitches.

But… the more exact directions for what you are to do to make the little head scarf (cute BTW) begin further down where it again gives you Row 1 directions and then Row 2 etc. This is not just the most basic K2, P2 rib throughout with nothing else going on, because you will be working short rows. More advanced stuff, (he, he, he), but not hard. You still keep all the knits over knits and purls over purls, but you will be leaving stitches at the end of rows, and at that point exchanging the needles in your hands and working back the other way. This is what gives this head scarf its shape. Just do what the pattern says and you will be all right.

Your other question about slipping a stitch at the beginning of a row, a nice skill you learned for doing an edge on a neck scarf, is not necessary here. I suggest you don’t do it. Just do what they say. There is some slipping anyway and you don’t need any more to confuse the issue.

Have fun. You will learn some things here and get to see some neat shaping take place. Merigold

Hi Rachel-

I can’t help you, since I’m a newbi too…but I just wanted to say hi and let you know that you’re way ahead of me…at least you can purl =)

Also, I have a 5 mo old…so I know all about having brain malfunctions these days. I’ve heard it gets better. =)

Farrah

hi! yeah, the baby brain is getting old…as for purling,well. i think i can do it. ha.

thank you! this all made sense :slight_smile:

I love that pattern also, and made one this past winter. Did you by any chance check the forum in knitty about this pattern? There are alot of posts about the number of stitches to cast on. I cast on around 20 less than it called for and it was about the right size. You might want to check this first! Good luck. It is very easy once you get started. :grin:

Donna

thanks! i’ll check it out