EDITED LINK! HELP for overly ambitious newbie ... dec 37?

Good grief! I’m an idiot. I put the wrong link in. No wonder it’s so confusing. Here is the correct LINK for the Wisteria sweater.
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/wisteria/wisteria.html

Hi All, Brand new to knitting. Did a lot of crochet in the past. This is so much fun but I’m working on what I think is overly ambitious pattern for a beginner, maybe not. I hope not! It’s a gorgeous poncho sweater at
http://www.berroco.com/188/188_ciara.html#instructions

Calls for me to dec 37 on back of sweater. Am I reading this correctly? Seems like a lot. Then again, I’m making my first sweater, piecing together my first item, still learning. Do I simply do a normal decrease? Knit two together??? soooooooo confused.

Any advice would be just soooooooooooooo welcome.

I love that Berroco site for the lovely free patterns and plan to make quite a few over the long, snowy winter coming up here in new england.

However, LOVE THIS SITE far more. I’ve emailed this link to all my friends to get them knitting. It’s amazing and so appreciated, especially the awesome videos. Can’t wait for the Bobble video as this sweater calls for it.

Thanks again for any help,
Lee Lee :doh: :doh:

Where do you get the dec 37 from? :shrug:
The instructions for the back read as follows:

With straight needles, cast on 76(80-88-96-104) sts. Work even in St st for 1", then dec 1 st each side every 2-1/2" 4 times – 68(72-80-88-96) sts. Work even until piece measures 12" from beg, end on WS.

Welcome to the forum!

Your decreases occur gradually to taper the armholes and sleeve holes. Just follow the pattern as it’s written and you’ll be fine. If you need help with that, let us know.

You can knit two together at the edges since they’re going to be seamed–that’s the simplest.

Welcome to the forum!

Where are you seeing dec 37, I’m not seeing it. I’m seeing it as a decrease of 8 total based on the final measurement listed.

BACK
With straight needles, cast on 76(80-88-96-104) sts. Work even in St st for 1", then [color=red]dec 1 st each side every 2-1/2" 4 times [/color]– 68(72-80-88-96) sts. Work even until piece measures 12" from beg, end on WS.

I took it to mean from beginning to when the shoulders get bound off.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. :muah:

To answer your question, and please bare with me as I’m so very new to reading patterns… on the pattern for the BACK, for Row 2: P2, *k2, p2; rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 4" from beg, end on RS. Change to larger needles and p the next row, DEC 37 STS ACROSS - 113 (121-129) sts.

Please, excuse my utter ignorance, but I thought it meant to decrease 37 stitches in one row, the last row, leaving me with 113 (121-129) sts. No? Just seems to me it would be one huge slant on only one side.

I’m reading thru all the wonderful responses to try to understand better. I’ve never made anything but scarves so piecing things together is way beyond me. I just love this sweater so very much, I’m willing to try it no matter what.

:wall: Also, is there a good web site where I can learn to read patterns better??? Something for the gray-matter challenged like me? :wall:

THANKS AGAIN for all this amazing help!
Lee Lee

quote=“Boogs”]Where do you get the dec 37 from? :shrug:
The instructions for the back read as follows:

With straight needles, cast on 76(80-88-96-104) sts. Work even in St st for 1", then dec 1 st each side every 2-1/2" 4 times – 68(72-80-88-96) sts. Work even until piece measures 12" from beg, end on WS.
[/quote]

It looks like you should decrease 37 stitches on that row, but evenly spaced–not at one side or the other.

Whenever a pattern calls for decreasing more than 1 st at either end, you decrease them evenly spaced across the row.

sue

Before you decrease you should have the following number of stitches:

Small: 150
medium:158
large: 166

You need to take the total of stitches & divide by the number you need to decrease. Let’s look at size small…

You need to decrease 37 sts evenly across 150 stitches.

So, take 150/37=4.05 stitches You know you need to decrease 1 stitch about every 4th stitch across the back of the sweater.

since 150/37 leaves a remainder, go down a few stitches until you can divide evenly…

148/37=4