Easy Lace Scarf Pattern is confusing me

I’m a new knitter and I have a question about this lace scarf that I want to knit for my stepmom for Christmas. (I have to work Christmas eve and Christmas so I will need to have this done by December 31st.) I’ve tried knitting it but I’m getting confused… The link to this pattern is
www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/scarflacekm.htm

1.I counted the stitches at the end of each row and I am getting: row 1- 43 stitches, row 2-44 stitches, row 3-44 stitches and row 4-44 stitches. I think I have 1 too many stitches on row 2 but I keep getting the same number when I knit that row.

1. Row 2 has repeat combination stitches… I’m only repeating the combination once. Row 4 has repeat combination stitches too, I’m only repeating the combination twice.

Has someone knit this scarf before? What am I doing wrong? :shrug:

When I count the stitches, I come up with 43 after row 2.

When you do the psso’s are you knitting two together?

It looks like you repeat the * stitches once on row 2 and 5 times on row 4–you should be repeating ( k4, yo, (sl 1, k2tog, psso), 5 times for 35 stitches, added to the first 2 that you use and the last 6 that you use, that comes to 43.

:happydance:
Thank you Ingrid. I was knitting sl1 k1 psso instead of sl1 k2tog psso. That’s where that extra stitch came from. Since this is my last gift I’m knitting, I am going to slow down and take my time. :smiley: