Easy Knitting Magazine

:study: Hi Everyone, I’m new and want to teach myself how to know. Can anyone tell me the best magazine to subscribe to that has patterns for beginners and a good selection of patterns?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Welcome!

I think Creative Knitting is a good one. It has a variety of patterns and a range of ability levels.

Another good choice is Family Circle Easy Knitting. Many of the patterns aren’t trendy, so they don’t go out of style, are easy to do, and are frequently made out of easy-to-obtain {or substitute} yarn. The flip side of this is that some of the patterns are really cheesy or cliche. Each issue also includes learn-to-knit illustrations that come in handy when the computer isn’t nearby.

IMO, Creative Knitting’s patterns are a little bit more trendy without being so trendy that they are out of date by the time you get the project done. Being in Canada, I find that some of the recommended yarns are difficult to obtain, and substitutions can be hard sometimes. That being said, my last real FO was a pullover for my DS out of the January issue!!!

I recently purchased the May issue of Creative Knitting. It’s the 1st knitting magazine I’ve bought in many years. I’m really impressed with it and may even subscribe. It also has stitch diagrams in the back.

I think I prefer Easy Knitting, but Creative Knitting does have some great stuff in it.

The only reason I prefer the Easy Knitting is that, for me, some of the patterns in Creative Knitting seem to be “classified” wrong. For example, in the latest issue, there is a man’s sweater vest that is classified as “easy”, yet it has a cable stitch down the center front. Now, cable might not in actuality be all that difficult, but as a beginner/novice, it’s not something that I consider “easy”. Again, that’s just me…but it seems like you’d have to have more experience and practice with doing cables to find it “easy”.

It’s not a magazine, but I find Leisure Arts put out really good booklets to learn needle skills from. I have an “I Can’t Believe I’m Crocheting” that I picked up to refresh my crochet stitches, as I haven’t done it in quite a while. They also have the same book only for knitting. Both have patterns as well.

I think you just have to pick up a magazine, look at it, and see how it hits you. Everybody is different, and learns things at a different pace, so it’s hard to recommend a one-size-fits-all magazine.

One thing’s for sure…you’ll have fun looking through them and finding out which one you like best!!! :smiley:

miccisue
I like the Leisure Arts booklets, too. I have their I Can’t Believe I’m Knitting as well as their I Can’t Believe I’m Crocheting and 99 Knit Stitches. I find their patterns easy to read and usually accurate.

I’ve knitted 3 dog sweaters and am currently working on a plaid dishcloth from the I Can’t Believe I’m Knitting booklet. The dishcloth is really pretty.

One note about Creative Knitting . . . I subscribed, and I’m not getting all my issues. Hopefully it was a one time thing because I really like the magazine.

Having said that, my all time favorite knitting mag is Simply Knitting. It comes out of the UK and is a bit pricey with shipping to the US but I love it and I get a nice little gift with every issue. Check your local book stores for it, it is carried by the local “Borders” book store.