"easy" cardigan

[COLOR=“Purple”]I am trying to knit a cardigan but i have so many questions that need to be answered before i continue. the following is the pattern i for the back of the cardigan (which is what i am starting with). i am doing it in a size large (the second number in the brackets). [/COLOR]

BACK
With smaller needles, using MC (MAIN COLOUR), cast on 93(99-109-119-129-139) sts.
Row 1 (RS){right side}: K1, * p1, k1, rep from * across.
Row 2: P1, * k1, p1, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 1” from beg, end on WS{wrong side}, dec 10 sts evenly spaced across – 83(89-99-109-119-129) sts. Change to larger needles and work even in St st {Stockinette stitch }until piece measures 2 1/2” from beg, end on WS.

Dec Row (RS): K16(18-20-23-25-28), SSK{Slip slip stitch}, k47(49-55-59-65-69), k2 tog, k16(18-20-23-25-28) – 81(87-97-107-117-127) sts. Continue in this manner to dec 1 st 16(18-20-23-25-28) sts in from each edge every 1” twice more, then every 3/4” 4 times – 69(75-85-95-105-115) sts. Work even until piece measures 9” from beg, end on WS. Inc 1 st each end of next row – 71(77-87-97-107-117) sts. Rep this inc every 3/4” 4 times more, then every 1/2” twice. Work even on 83(89-99-109-119-129) sts until piece measures 13 1/2” from beg, end on WS.

Shape Armholes: Bind off 5(5-6-7-9-9) sts at beg of the next 2 rows – 73(79-87-95-101-111) sts.

Dec Row (RS): K2, KSP, k to last 4 sts, SSK, k2 – 71(77-85-93-99-109) sts. Rep this dec every RS row 8(8-10-11-12-14) times more. Work even on 55(61-65-71-75-81) sts until armholes measure 7(7-7 1/2-8-8 1/2-9)”, end on WS.

Shape Shoulders and Neck: Next Row (RS): Bind off 3(4-6-5-7-8) sts, work until there are 9(11-11-13-13-15) sts on RH needle, join another ball of MC and bind off center 31(31-31-35-35-35) sts, k to end. Working both sides at once, bind off 3(4-6-5-7-8) sts at beg of the next row, then 4(5-5-6-6-7) sts at beg of the next 4 rows. AT THE SAME TIME, dec 1 st at each neck edge every RS row once.

[COLOR=“purple”]okay now that you have seen the pattern… here are my questions:

1. if the first row starts with knit and the second with purl won’t that lead me to seed stitch? (the pic of the cardigan shows ribbing)

2. how will i know if it is the right side or the wrong side if i have only done ribbing so far?

3. when do i decrease the 10 sts? over the ribbing rows that measure 1" or after that (dec all in one row)?

4. in the second paragraph where it says dec. row is that refering to the dec. row in the first paragraph?

i don’t want to ask too many questions at once so i will stop there for now. im not sure if i can add questions later to this post as this is my first post. i hope so. thanks for your your help![/COLOR]

1. No, this is ribbing; they’re both done as k1, p1, but it depends on the number of sts and how you start and finish each row.

2. Ribbing is reversible, but then you switch to stockinette. It’s really saying that the next row is the RS so you start with a knit row.

3. You can decrease the 10 sts on the last row of ribbing.

4. The next row will be a decrease row that has a different decrease scheme. You do the decs 16 sts in from each edge. Then you’ll continue to dec that way every inch 2 more times.

Don’t worry about the questions, everyone has them. Just follow the pattern stitch by stitch and row by row and you’ll do fine. The pattern is pretty well written, but if you don’t understand something when you get to it, just come back here and ask.

[COLOR=“Purple”]i have a couple more questions.[/COLOR]

Dec Row (RS): K16(18-20-23-25-28), SSK{Slip slip stitch}, k47(49-55-59-65-69), k2 tog, k16(18-20-23-25-28) – 81(87-97-107-117-127) sts. Continue in this manner to dec 1 st 16(18-20-23-25-28) sts in from each edge every 1” twice more, then every 3/4” 4 times – 69(75-85-95-105-115) sts. Work even until piece measures 9” from beg, end on WS. Inc 1 st each end of next row – 71(77-87-97-107-117) sts. Rep this inc every 3/4” 4 times more, then every 1/2” twice. Work even on 83(89-99-109-119-129) sts until piece measures 13 1/2” from beg, end on WS.

[COLOR=“purple”]I have done the first sentence. i am on the “Continue in this…” part. i have no idea what to do now. i don’t understandhow to continue. every inch do i decrease? [/COLOR]

sounds to me like the first line “Dec Row” sets up the pattern you will use when you do the decreases. You do it for the first row (as you have already done) then continue straight until it’s time to decrease again, 1" from the first decrease row. If it isn’t clear, you may want to mark it so you know where to measure from. So you will do the decrease 3 times total. Then you will do it again 3/4" later (instead of 1") 4 times. So you will have decreased 7 times.

Hope this helps (hope I’m right :wink:
L

okay… i think i get it. would i mark the line with a different colour yarn?

thanks a ton!

Yes, you can put another color yarn there, or a safety pin to mark the row.

smart! safety pin. i put another colour yarn but i thing it will look weird when i take it out. a safety pin would work perfectly!

A little late since you are past this part but on this question…

1. how will i know if it is the right side or the wrong side if i have only done ribbing so far?

Usually the cast on will look a little different on each side. Some folks consider one side of the cast on to the right side. In reality either side can be the one you choose if you like its look best.

I guess in some ways this isn’t too late to help you because whichever side of the cast on you used as the right side on the back will be the one you want to use as the right side when you do the fronts as well. You might also use that side on the sleeves, but I suppose if you later realize you like the other side best you could do the sleeves with the other side as “right”, but keep the pieces that will be sewn together all the same side out.

thanks everyone for your help! my cardi is looking pretty good. my next question is about increases. the pattern tells me to increase 1 stitch at each end of the row. what type of increase would be best?

Whichever you like. You can do a M1, kfb or KLL/KRL

[COLOR=“Purple”]but how can i do those if it is the last stitch? i know how to do it if it is in the middle of the row but not at the ends[/COLOR]

You can do it one stitch in from the edge. The incs don’t have to be in the very first or last stitch, just at each side of the piece rather than in the middle.

smart! i thought they had to be the last stitches. man, you guys rock!

[COLOR=“Purple”]okay! just a quickie. when it says end on wrong side, should i end after i purl or before? (what should my next line be?)[/COLOR]

That means you repeat the rows and the last one you do will be a WS/purl row. Then start the next set of directions on the RS.

[COLOR=“Purple”]okay next the pattern says k2 and then KSP. i know that stands for knit slip pass but i dont know how to do that. [/COLOR]

Are you sure it isn’t KSP? That’s slip 1 st (from the left to the right needle), k1 stitch, pass the slipped st over (the knit st). Go to the decreases videos and you’ll see a demo of it; SSK also give you the same effect.

[COLOR=“Purple”]do you mean are you sure it isn’t SKP? beause the pattern definately says KSP. i couldn’t find t in the decrease videos…[/COLOR]

KSP. My book doesn’t have that abbreviation in it either. Does the pattern give an explanation of the abbreviation somewhere there near the beginning? If it doesn’t I thought maybe it could mean K2tog, slip one, pass the slipped stitch over. That would be a bit unusual, but maybe? It would be a double decrease (dec of 2 sts). Usually that type of decrease would be slip one, K2 together, pass the slipped stitch over. Does a double decrease make any sense in the pattern, for instance in the stitch count? I’m just :?? here.

Or it could be a variant of k2tog - knit one, slip back to left needle, pass the next st over and move the stitch to the right needle. I’ve heard of that one.