Easy cables

hi
although i can knit i am completely challenged by cables
can anyone help

What don’t you get about them? Most of the rows are like ribbing, then you follow the directions for the cable - slip the first stitches onto a dpn or even another needle, hold them out of the way, knit the next stitches, then knit the ones you put on the other needle and continue on to the next one. You just knit the stitches in a different order.

sue

Have you watched Amy’s video?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//adv-tech/cables-rds.mpg

Ok, I need to clarify here. I think I’ve got it but… I watched Amy’s video and I want to be sure because my pattern is different. And I’m a little confused…

I’m doing the newsboy cap from S & B. There’s a cable pattern that goes thus: Row 1-3: p2, k9, p2, k6
Row 4: p2, k9, p2, c6b

So! I know the cable needle goes in the back but, then what? Do I knit 3, then knit … ok, I’m lost. c6b. 3 & 3? Appreciate your help!

Isn’t there a sort of glossary of abbreviations in your pattern? Many patterns have them, but from my experience, C6B would be “put the next three stitches on the cable needle and hold at the back of work, knit following three stitches, knit three stitches from cable needle”

Actually Karen, I copied this pattern down from a friend’s book and that’s all I copied. I’d have to go back and look at the book, but what you’re saying makes sense. I think it’s the only way to do it, I just wasn’t sure.

I would just double-check your total number of stitches to see if the C6B works out as the three and three (number of stitches on the needles and number of times they tell you to repeat the pattern).

That’s right, in this pattern, when you c6b, slip the first 3 sts onto the cable needle (or dpn) and hold them towards the back. K the next 3, then K the 3 on the spare needle - you don’t have to slip them back to the regular needle. Then go on to the next sts.

sue

When I first started doing cables, I did the stitches on the cable needle in the wrong order. This made for a very ugly cable. So, in case anyone else has this problem, here’s how to do the c6b:

Come to the spot in the knitting where it occurs. Slip stitches 1, 2, and 3 to the cable needle and remember them in that order, and hold it in back. Knit stitches 4, 5, and 6. Then knit from the cable needle FROM THE OPPOSITE END of the end you slipped to. So you knit stitches from the cable needle in order 1, 2, 3, not the other way around.

Maybe it’s obvious to everyone, but I made some really ugly cables until I figured it out.

This is where slipping the stitches back on the left needle can help.