Dying yarn?

any help? i have this plain cream colored yarn that my mother in law bought from the op shop and donated to me. It is 4 ply but I have no idea hat it is made of. It feels like cotton. I have red, yellow, blue, and green food coloring in the cupboard as well as white vinegar. Do you think I an dye it? If so, any idea how?

Try this knitty article–and keep us posted!

Thanks for that. I’ve just dyed it and it seems to have worked. I’m not sure if it is cotton or not so I hope it isn’t. fingers crossed I used some vinegar and water and soaked the yarn then added the food coloring and heated it up in the microwave. It’s come out nice, I think – like a tye dyed effect. Now I just have to wait for it to dry to so I can take photos of it and start knitting. I think I might take a test piece off and wash it a few times to see if the colors will run. Hopefully it won’t. Only now I think I might become addicted. Watch me go out and buy a dying kit now. LOL!!!

I always rinse mine in warm water after it cools form the microwave…then you know right away if the color is runny, and you can fix it! :smiley: