Dumpling sweater problem

I am trying to understand the instructions for seaming the collar in the rowan dumpling sweater.
It says: Join collar seam by knitting sts tog in same way as for shoulder seams, then sew one edge of collar to back neck.
I have 6 stitches bound off left after seaming the shoulders. Which edge gets sewn to the back neck???
thanks,
sari

I see no one has taken a stab at answering your question yet. When I read the directions as given:

Join collar seam by knitting sts tog in same way as for shoulder seams, then sew one edge of collar to back neck.
I get the impression that their is a seam to be joined to form the collar and that you are to join that seam the same way you did the shoulder seams, which may have been a three needle bind off, since it said to knit the stitches together. Then after you have the collar joined into one piece that you just sew one side of it to the neck opening. Sometimes to sew a collar on you put the right sides together like regular sewing and so a whip stitch over the edges and fold the collar into place so the seam doesn’t show.

That is what occurs to me from the directions you say they give, but they you say,

I have 6 stitches bound off left after seaming the shoulders. Which edge gets sewn to the back neck???
. I don’t know what you have going from what you say there. Maybe a picture of your work would be helpful.

Thanks. Yes, it is a three needle bindoff. I will proceed as I understand it and if I still don’t see what edge to sew down, I’ll send in a photo of my work and see if you can help again.
Sari