Dry cracked knitters' fingers

:roflhard: :roflhard: Or all of them at once!

Thanks for the locator info. It would never have occurred to me to go to the baby/mum-care aisle!

I get this on my middle and pointer also, and while knitting, I will do the little finger bandage with Burt’s Bees Hand Salve This is a bit greasy, but if you really massage it in, which you should do with any good moisturizer anyway, it is totally tolerable, but if handling yarn I do Sesame Street Band-Aids with it. This is also a great one to do with gloves at night. At night time, I use Philosophy’s Time On Your Hands which exfoliates gently while you sleep. It does have glycolic acid in it, but I have never had any irritation or drying from it, it’s wondrous. For regular moisturizing throughout the day, I use this stuff by Supre called Hempz that you can absolutely die from it smells so delicious. It is a really intensive moisturizer and when I was training to be an aesthetician, I used it for my client’s massages and all of them just adore it. It is fast absorbing, yet VERY emollient and great for all over.

I noticed while knitting a project recently that an area on my left thumb was getting a tad sore. No blister or anything, but I suspect it may get calloused. Must be a weird way I knit. :rollseyes: Anyone else get callouses?

I tried the Olay Quench in one of the tester bottles at work one night when I forgot my hand cream. I had to RUN to the washroom to wash my hands. My hands burned from that stuff! I’ve actually tried quite a few, and for me, the Keri and the Vaseline are the two I go back to.

As for calluses from knitting, I’m never sure if mine are from a rough fibre or from work. But, I do know that I’ve gotten calluses from hemp when I’ve been making necklaces, so it would make sense if I would get calluses from knitting {or crocheting!} with something rough.

Jan, funny you say that because I had thought my problem really was the beginning of callus, not necessarily dryness. I get it on my pointer and middle, most often when I’m using small metal needles and working the stitches off the left needle with my right fingers. It does seem the skin will split ever so slightly and sometimes peel a little, but I’m always left with a soreness more than anything else and use the Sesame Street band-aids like a thimble too.

I have eczema on my hand and feet (?!) and I love the Aveeno extra strength lotion. I can’t remember the actual name, but the top is an eggplant color. It’s not greasy at all. I wash my hands at work a lot (preschool - darned diapers) and it really keeps my hands soft. For my feet I use the Bag Balm. I’ve used that since I was a teenager my feet used to crack and bleed in the summer really bad. It’s gross, but if you put it on at night and use gloves (or socks) it clears up the snaggles overnight.

If you have no nut allergies, Almond oil is a blessing for your skin.

I use almond oil balm on my cuticles weekly, and almond oil hand cream on my hands several times a day. All from the Body Shop (so I know y’all can get that over there).

It’s not greasy, absorps quickly, and there’s even an intensive repair treatment available.

:smiley:

The other BRILLIANT hand creme is OPI Avoplex. This is my personal restorative rememdy.

Plus, they both smell DIVINE!!!

Bag balm was as common a fixation as cocoa butter in my house.

Co-signing.

Every winter I have to battle dry skin on my legs and my hands… Alot of times in the winter I can’t wear my wedding band set cause it cracks under my rings leaving a nice raw red itchy place… Going into WV I snagged the skin with the yarn while knitting but I didn’t want to stop knitting so I used Neousporin and a bandaid LOL it cleared it up fast but it was weird knitting around the bandaid it wouldn’t stay right on the band aid… :lol:

Two words: ACID MANTLE

It actually assists dry skin in healing, and best of all (wait for it), it doesn’t leave residue behind to screw up your projects. A friend of mine is a professional clothing designer and says that she’d never be without it. It’s expensive, but a little bit goes a long, long way! You can find it in some pharmacies, or you can ask your pharmacist to special order it for you. :thumbsup:

Burt’s Bees Milk and Honey Body Lotion

thick but not greasy.
smells yummy.

I have fairly dry hands and pleanty of allergies which cause my hands to break out and crack and such… I thought about posting a ‘nasty fingers’ picture, but decided against it… I don’t want to freak everyone out! So, for a few months of the year my fingers, hands and wrists become very dry and cracked and that causes yarn to catch on those areas. At night I use neutrogena hand cream which is unscented and comes in a little 2 or 3 oz tubey thingy, and put my hands in cotton gloves. I put it on pretty thick and spend about 20 minutes or so rubbing it in… I usually end up having to wipe off a small amount of excess, but it’s really surprising how much will work into your skin if you just give it time. I haven’t tried Lansinoh on my hands before, but I’m going to give it a try.
Durring the day I use Nexcare Skin Crack Care which seals the skin cracks and promotes healing. It’s a liquid which you apply to the skin like nail polish, then you let it dry for about a minute. It’s like a see through bandage. It really keeps my hands from snaging the yarn while I knit.

The one down side to Lansinoh is the cost, but you can ask your pharmacist to order pure lanolin for you … I used to sell a pound tub for about $10, but that was 2 years ago… I"m sure the price hasn’t gone up too much.

Taking the time at night to rub the cream deeply into the hands is well worth it–plus it feels soooo good! (It feels even better if someone else does it, but I rarely get that particular treat…) I don’t, however, rub the extra off–I just let it get on the inside of the gloves to give extra softening goodness! (And yes, I wash these gloves quite frequently!)

I’m not usually a fan of the home-party body products, but I have fallen in love with this lotion from Country Bunny. It’s called a Lotion Bar and is just amazing. The lotion comes in a bar that’s placed in a tin. The bar melts at body temperature, so it is a solid at room temp. That way, I can keep it in my knitting bag and it doesn’t spill. The rep said the bar lasts about 6 months, but I think it may go longer than that.

The website is at Country Bunny

I have no affiliation with the company, I just love their stuff!

I have been having trouble with dry cracked splitting fingertips since I started knitting. I found some cream called O’Keefe’s which works surprisingly well.

The pictures on their website look just like my hands did before I started using it.

I am unable to post any links but it’s called O’Keefe’s Working hands. I bought mine at the local pharmacy but you can usually find them at farm stores.

I’ve tried various lotions and other creams on the market and none worked as good as this. You do put it on night for best results. Even my skeptical husband liked it and said it worked great on his dry hands.

However, I recently found out the cause of my splitting fingertips. It was caused by using acrylic yarn especially RHSS. Since I stopped knitting with it, I haven’t had a split fingertip since. I still use the O’Keefe’s cream for my dry hands caused by the cold weather.