Drops pattern, sweet seventeen

I’ve been knitting for a few years and have never come across a pattern with has caused me as many problems as this one. The pattern itself seems so convoluted. I’ve bought the matching yarn - Drops Sky - and have started the pattern top down but have run into so many problems as the pattern is so confusing, that I’ve started again from bottom up, halving the number of stitches for the body as I’m now knitting on straight needles. However, I’ve got about a third of the way up the jumper, but despite doing a sts swatch before I started , and going up a needle size, the width of the jumper is 2/3s of what it should be. I have no idea where I’ve gone wrong. The pattern told me to do the swatch on sts, but now I’m thinking I should’ve swatched in the pattern instead?
I would love to find a pattern for Sky Drops, or a similar yarn, which is knitted from the bottom up, and is preferably not a Drops pattern. Can anyone help? And any swatch advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

Drops patterns aren’t always the easiest to figure out. They are translations and they tend to over specify a direction which can be confusing.

Did you make a large enough gauge swatch so that you could measure over the middle 4 inches avoiding the edge sts? For this gauge of 21sts/4inches you might cast on 30sts and work in stockinette.
You could measure the gauge you’re getting now in pattern rib. It looks like the gauge in pattern rib should be about 10sts/4inches. I always find rib difficult to measure for gauge because it depend on how much you stretch it.
What size needle are you using?

Sorry to hear you didn’t get on well with the pattern you chose.
Oddly I quite like drops patterns although I have never made a top down sweater.
You could probably use the yarn for any pattern that calls for DK yarn and has the same gauge as the yarn you have. The result won’t be exactly as the pattern shows due to using different yarn but if you like the yarn you’d probably like the result.

If you want to give the pattern another go top down as it’s written there is plenty of help here to get you through the confusing parts.

1 Like

There may be something here to help you

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&weight=dk&pc=pullover&pa=bottom-up&language=en&query=Raglan%20&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs&page=1

I feel for you re Drops patterns, as I have also struggled with them😬

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your reply. I did a swatch in sts and yeah, I knitted beyond 10 cm and washed it. When I measured it I had 26 sts and 32 rows. The mistake I made was just to go up 2 sizes from 4mm to 4.5 thinking thad be more than enough. Obviously not! Time to swatch again. I think I’ll try 5mm needles.

I might give it another go from top down, but I don’t particularly enjoy using circular needles for whole projects as I always make more mistakes and get myself into a real tangle as I find the wire annoying.

Another option is another pattern I have bought for a very similar yarn, but I think it might be hard to put the stripes on the arms to match the body.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks so much for your reply. I did a swatch in sts and yeah, I knitted beyond 10 cm and washed it. When I measured it I had 26 sts and 32 rows. The mistake I made was just to go up 2 sizes from 4mm to 4.5 thinking thad be more than enough. Obviously not! Time to swatch again. I think I’ll try 5mm needles.

I might give it another go from top down, but I don’t particularly enjoy using circular needles for whole projects as I always make more mistakes and get myself into a real tangle as I find the wire annoying.

Another option is another pattern I have bought for a very similar yarn, but I think it might be hard to put the stripes on the arms to match the body.

Thanks again for your help!

I’m glad I’m not the only one, as I was starting to question my abilities!! I’ve been knitting for 4 and a half years - almost non stop! - and I’m disappointed that this pattern is defeating me! I showed it to my mother in law, who is far more experienced than me, and she thought it was really confusing too!

You did the right thing in working your tension square. It just needed the extra time to knit with the larger needle. Maybe even a 5mm needle.
The Rico patteern is a nice substitute with yarn that knits to approximately the same gauge. The sweater looks to be knit in either brioche or fisherman’s rib, both of which create very stretchy fabric.
Whichever way you choose to go, good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

I’ve gotten to the point where if it’s a drop pattern, I just pass it by. The time I have spent trying to figure them out, frogging, redoing…:roll_eyes:
Good luck finding a pattern that works for you!
ttfn
Jean :raising_hand_woman: