Dropped stitches at the end of a row

I’m knitting a lap robe and several stitches slipped off the end of my left hand needle when I had just finished a row and was switching in order to start a new row. I picked them back up (I thought) but the yarn was then back several stitches from the ones I had picked up. Help!! I don’t know where to go from here.

If you just finished a row there shouldn’t be any stitches on the left hand needle. If you had finished and just turned and some slipped off the right hand needle you would put them back on the right hand needle until you come to where the working yarn is. That could be putting all the stitches back on the right hand needle if the yarn goes that far. But if some of the stitches came undone you would put the stitches back on the right hand needle until you come to where the working yarn is and then put the rest of the stitches back on the left hand needle and then work them again so that you are at the end of the row and ready to turn again.

In other words the working yarn must come from the right hand needle and be right at the end of the right hand needle. Any other stitches would need to be on the left hand needle so that they could be worked. So easy but hard to explain. :eyes: Does that help or make any sense?

Slip those sts back to the left needle to where your yarn is and reknit them.

Thanks for the advice. I had indeed switched needles from one hand to the other in order to start the next row. Now I don’t feel like I’ve messed up entirely. And remind me never to make another lap robe. It feels like I will never get it finished at this point, although I’m past the half-way mark by now.

It helps if you use large needles. I knit one for my son and DIL, double stranded on size 13s.