Dropped Stitch question

I’m a fairly new knitter and I’ve been working on my first “big” project, the Two-Toned Ribbed Shrug from Fitted Knits, and I’m down to my last few rounds for the ribbed collar before I’m done. The only problem is that I just realized that there is dropped stitch in the body.:wall: Is there any way to fix it without pulling it all apart?:pray: Or do I just need to bite the bullet and undo all my work to that point? Thank you for any help!

Did you check out the vid on picking up dropped sts in the Knitting Tips section?

cam

Pull the dropped stitch up as far as you can using the technique cam pointed you to, then tie it off on the back side. Put a small piece of yarn through the top loop, then work the ends into the adjoining stitches.

:woot: :muah: :woohoo:
Thank you sooo much! It took me 3 weeks of nonstop knitting to get this far and I would’ve cried to have to redo it. You are a lifesaver!!! Now to finish up those last few rounds.:happydance:

:?? run that by one more time…do you mean I have been :frog: all this time and there “is” a solution? Thank you…Cheley

Yes, you can try it. If you’ve dropped a stitch a few rows back, you can use a crochet hook, or needle tip, and bring the `run’ back up to the row you’re on. If it’s a lotts rows back, bring it up as far as you can (there won’t be any extra yarn at some point) then put the loop, or head of the stitch to the WS, thread a little bit of yarn through it and weave the end into the sts next to it.

:?? if you “weave” the end into the sts next to it, then you’ve lost a stitch? Right? Then what? Thanks Cheley

Not all all. You’re weaving in the ends of the yarn you used to secure the loop on the WS to keep that stitch from dropping again.

So you are “building up” a new stitch to accommodate the part that you lost? Thanks

No you’re right you’ll have one stitch less. This technique is to be used if you’ve dropped a stitch waaaaay back and knitted maybe almost to the end if not finished it. If you can bring the stitch all the way up to the needles, then you put it on the needles, but sometimes the rows you did after the stitch dropped will be much too tight to fit it in. This way secures the stitch so you won’t have a run in your knitting.

If you drop it off the needles, it will run down creating a ladder, you can just pull it back up using the slack in the ladder.
But if you dropped it many rows ago and just noticed, then on the rows after you dropped the stitch, you would have been knitting normally and there is no slack to create a new column of stitches with.
So if you don’t want to unravel the work after the dropped stitch, then just fix the ladder as far as it goes, and you basically sew that stitch into the knitting at the top of the column so that it doesn’t fall back down.
In fact I would probably sew in with matching sewing cotton on the back, small stitches etc., rather than attach by weaving in ends. Your choice.

Ah, I just got the point of that question. Yes, on your working row/round you will indeed be one stitch short if you dropped one several rows back and can’t bring it all the way back up to the needles. Sorry, I missed the real point of that question. I blame it on too much turkey the past few days. Nothing a simple increase can’t cure.

I forgot to address the missing stitch question. Yes, you’ll be one short, but it may not matter. If you have to have the extra stitch for the next step, just increase at about the point where it should have been.

I also realized I missed a stitch way back in the scarf I’m making. The missed stitch is on the edge of the scarf. I’m not sure I understand what is meant by putting it on the needles as I’m so far past there already. can anyone help with this?

If it’s on the edge of the scarf you can probably attach it to the row just above it. Sometimes it’s difficult to work an edge stitch back up along the side until you can put it on the needle. Instead, take a short length of your yarn and pass it through the dropped stitch and then weave the two ends into the body of the scarf. You might also use a needle and thread to attach the errant stitch if the scarf is very lacey.