Dpn pattern help

Ok I want to make sure I understand this.

Sleeves: Cast on 32 sts, placing 8 sts on each of 4 dpns. Join circularly. *K1, P1, rep from * for 5 rds. Work 14 rds in st st. Break off yarn and set aside. Work other sleeve to match.

Does break off yarn and set aside mean to cut the yarn and take the sleeve off the needles? Because right after this it says cast on 80 sts and place 20 each on 4 dpns.

I’d put the stitches on a spare circular needle or piece of yarn, and make another one and put that on something.

I suspect that you will knit the sleeves onto the sweater at some point.

Thanks for the help. I’ve knitted the body of this sweater. The pattern calls for me to attach the sleeves to the body.

Pattern:
Adding the sleeve sts to the same needle just used to finish the last rd on body, K 1, SSK, K next 13 sleeve sts, change to next needle and K next 13 sleeve sts, K2tog, K1, place marker, continuing with front body sts, K1, SSK, K 17 sts, change to next needle, still doing body sts, K 17 sts, K2tog, K1, place marker, now onto the next sleeve, K 1, SSK, K next 13 sleeve sts, change to next needle and K next 13 sts of sleeve, K2tog, K1, place marker, continuing with back body sts, K1, SSK, K 17 sts, change to next needle and still working back body, K 17 sts, K2tog, K1, end of rd. 136 sts rem.

:whoosh:

Could someone tell me what to do because I tried before and ended up with a big hole where the under part of the sleeve meets the body.

When you attach sleeves like this to the body, the first several rows are very awkward since the sleeve stitches are so stretched out. I suspect the hole you experienced is the actual hole in the sleeve where the arm goes. Try a few more rows and see how it comes together.

Or the hole is at the underarm? There should be something later in the pattern that would have you join sweater underam stitches to sleeve underarm stitches.