DPN join ladder-KTBL?

I was having the typical problem of laddering between DPNs: the ladders went away as I knitted further, but the stitches were loose and wonky looking. I thought I could make those stithes tighter by knitting the first stitch of the new LH needle through the back loop, which worked very well! Since this produces a twisted stitch, are there any ill effects this could have in a pattern?

Is Hildie actually making some socks?! :shock: :heart:

I don’t know about using the twisted stitch (not even sure I know what it is :?? ), but you can knit 3 to 5 sts from the next needle onto your current one before switching over to a new needle.

Are you doing plain stockinette? I wonder if the column of twisted stitches would be noticable against the other regular stockinette stitches. :thinking: I don’t know if it would affect patterns like lace or ribbing.

I do what Beldie suggested–the ladders go away completely. I do use markers, though, to help identify the needles for the heel flap and then the toe decreases.

I tried slipping the stitches, but it didn’t work either. I think it’s just because I hold the yarn and needles wierd.

SOCKS??? who said it was SOCKS??? :oo:

The twisted stitches are BARELY noticable. I wouldn’t do it on the front of a sweater, amybe, but on the edges no problem.

How many did you “slip”?

[size=2](I guessed you were doing socks because I know you’re going to OWN them one day)[/size]

From www.socknitters.com FAQ page: "Q: How do I avoid ladders?

A: Ladders occur because there is a difference in the tension you use on the yarn at the point where you switch needles. For most people, the yarn is being held too loosely here but for others, it is being pulled too tight. The good news is that most ladders disappear after washing and drying. To prevent them, there are a couple of techniques you can use:

1.  Keep an even tension on the yarn until you knit the second st on the new needle

2.  Start the new needle either in front of instead of behind the old needle or vice versa (in back if you were starting it in front)

3. Use st markers to delineate your end of rnd and knit a st or two more on each needle as you go around, e.g. if you have 16 sts on each needle, knit 17 or 18 on the first needle of the rnd, and then knit 16 before you move to the next needle. This distributes the unevenness and makes it less noticeable.

Practice ultimately makes it all go away!"

HAPPY SOCK KNITTING :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: …or whatever kind of knitting :cheering: :cheering:

thanks rebecca!